4. The Truth Comes Out

Daniel had been a model patient from the moment he walked into the hospital. He didn't get upset when some of the things he packed were taken away for security risks. He trusted they would be returned when released, and while losing some things was a pain he was basically testing the hospital policy to see where the lines were drawn as subtly as he possibly could. Daniel had no intention of causing trouble, as his primary goal was to be a model patient, get off with good behavior, and move into his grandmother's house with his mom. To Doctor Bailey's surprise, Daniel wasn't shy about seeking treatment as he sat in on several group meetings without being asked and was never late for a single appointment with Bailey as well. Yet the doctor was suspicious of what he was being told, as if something were being held back. During their meeting on the fifth day of Daniel's voluntary admission, the doctor tired to change things up.

  "Did your mother visit today?" he calmly asked.

  "You know she did," Daniel replied, "She does everyday."

  "Do you get along with your mother?" Bailey inquired.

  "About as much as a kid can get along with a parent," Daniel said, looking back at the doctor. "She's my parent, not my friend. Sometimes she's going to make choices that are not popular, and I just have to live with them and move on."

  "That's a very mature approach." Bailey observed, "Do you plan to become a parent one day yourself?"

  "I'm not sure," Daniel replied, "The planet is rather overpopulated already. It's not like the species depends on my ability to procreate."

  "Again, a very mature reply." Bailey repeated.

  "Are you sure about that?" Daniel countered, "All I basically said was I wasn't sure what I wanted."

  "People are scared of the unknown," Bailey replied, "So sometimes admitting that you don't know can be quite courageous."

  "Whatever," Daniel called out as he folded his arms, realizing that the doctor was noticing something.

  "I'm sorry," Bailey said, noticing the change of tone, "Did I say something that upset you?"

  "No," Daniel replied, "I'm just not used to have what I say being analyzed."

  "I suppose not," The doctor agreed, "How are you finding it here in the hospital?"

  "It's alright for a hospital," Daniel replied, "Food isn't that good."

  "It's healthy," The doctor countered.

  "I rest my case," the young man confirmed, "Too many greens for a kid my age, I have a reputation to uphold as a rebellious young man."

  "Is that so?" the doctor said, smiling back at him.

  "I didn't shoot someone to elevate my rep," the boy replied, "I did so because I was presented with a situation that could have been harmful to myself and to others that I happen to care about. Wouldn't you do the same thing if you mother or other people you care about were confronted by violent men?"

  "You could have called the police," The doctor suggested.

  "I could have," Daniel said, "If I wanted them to clean up the mess after these men beat me within an inch of my life. I have the right to defend myself."

  "Yes, you do." Doctor Bailey agreed, "As long as those actions are reasonable."

  "I believe they were," Daniel said, "Both my mother and I were in immediate danger, both times."