Chapter 1 - Seraphine's 18th birthday

The sound of crashing waves on the shore was always Seraphine's favorite thing to wake up to. It made her feel calm. Sitting in her room with the sun beginning to peek in and watching the sunlight slowly fill her bedroom made her feel safe. She sits up out of bed, not wanting to leave the warmth of her blankets. She opens her window and breathes the fresh air.

She walks into the living room room. "Dad?" She can't seem to find him there like he usually is in the morning, she looks outside to see her father sitting on the dock alone. Seraphine decides to do the same. As she walks outside the breeze hits her face and she feels warm. She sits beside her father. "Dad," she pauses, "It's been ten years today."

Ten years since her mother died in a house fire on her eighth birthday. Her father sighs, "It has Sera, but this is also your day." He smiles. "Your mother would want you to have fun." He looks at Seraphine, "I know it." Seraphine smiles, her mother was always so kind. She cared about everything and everyone, and always saw the good in people no matter what. "Dad, let's go get Lake and go out on the boat." Seraphine stretches her hand to her fathers and he grabs it, they walk back home and get Lake, her younger brother who is twelve.

The water is calm today, it's like Seraphine's mother made it this way today just for her. Once they're out into the water, Seraphine can't help but jump straight in. The water is clear and smooth. She can spot every fish and coral reef, she can even identify most of the species, just as her mother taught her. As Seraphine is swimming, she feels hot, almost sick. She swims back to the top of the water and hops into her father's boat. "Everything okay Sera?" Lake asks. She gives him a smile, "Yeah Lake, all good here." "When can we go home and eat cake?" Lake asks while giggling. Their father chimes in from the front of the vessel, "I say that sounds like a good idea, let's head home."

Once they get home, their kitchen and living room are covered in blue balloons and streamers. There's a sign that reads "Happy eighteenth birthday Sera!" in big letters above the kitchen island. She smiles when she realizes this is all the work of her best friend, Aria who is standing in the midst of everything she's done for Seraphine.

"Surprise!" Aria yells, running to Seraphine to give her a hug. Aria has been Seraphine's best friend since grade school per her mothers friend, Ashley. "I can't believe you're back! I wasn't expecting you today!" Sera says. "I finished my exams early so I got to come home, I knew I had to come see you right away!" Aria laughs. She heads over to lake and gives him a hug as well, "Been taking care of your big sister I hope?" She asks him. "Yes, I have!" He says proudly. Aria smiles.

"Good to see you, Aria." Seraphine's dad says, pulling Aria in for a side hug, "How is your mother these days?" He asks. "Good to see you too Owen, she's seen better days." Aria sighs, "Sickness is getting to her you know." Seraphine chips into the conversation, she knows Aria hates talking about her mother being sick. "So, cake anybody?" Lake jumps up and down. "That's what I've been saying!"

The four of them continue the next hour by eating and celebrating the day that is Seraphine's eighteenth birthday. "Time for gifts!" Aria pulls out a small box wrapped in blue paper. Seraphine sighs, "You really didn't have to Ari, you know I hate gifts." "Come on Sera, just open it!" Aria nudges Seraphine. Seraphine unwraps the paper on the box and opens it. Inside lays a dark shell with a shine to it. "Aria," Seraphine pauses, "Where did you find a Conus gloriamaris?" "When I was in school I got the opportunity to go diving with my classmates, I found this and I was allowed to bring it home, now it's yours." Aria says while smiling. Seraphine smiles back, "It's amazing, Aria. I'll cherish it forever." Seraphine hugs Aria and everyone goes on to celebrate the day that is Seraphine's eighteenth birthday.

Later in the night, Aria goes home to care for her mother, and everyone is asleep. Seraphine lies in her bed asleep, but awake in her mind. She sees a fire, and her mother. Her mother is screaming Seraphine's name. She sees her father and her brother standing outside. It's a memory. She looks up at the smoke, it looks almost like... a human. Staring at her in the clouds of smoke rising from her house. Seraphine wakes up and begins to scream, her father comes rushing in. "Seraphine, wake up!" He shakes her and she continues to scream, "Get it away! Get it off!" She yells. Lake comes running in, "Dad, what's wrong?" Owen feels Seraphines head, she's burning up. "Son, go run a cold bath, now." Lake nods and runs to the bathroom. Owen follows with Seraphine in his arms, he drops her into the cold bath and she immediately wakes up, gasping for air and coughing hysterically.

"I'm here Sera." He hold her in his arms. "It's time you find out what really happened to your mother."

___________________

The chapter of this book was written months ago but I just came across it again! I think it's something worth continuing. We'll see where it goes.