Chapter 17: The Champion of Kirkwall

Kaitlyn chewed on the round end of her pen while she stared down at the letter in her hands, not really seeing it. She'd lost interest once she'd seen her father's name. There were more pressing things to think about—like what to have for dinner. And stopping Corypheus, of course. But mostly dinner. Setting the letter aside, she turned to look at her copy of Tale of the Champion. It'd survived her anger well, showing next to no sign that she'd nearly turn it into a chunk of ice. She ran her fingers along the cover, worrying her lower lip between her teeth. She hadn't read the ending until last night; the horror stories from the mages she'd spoken to had fed on her own anger until she'd been too enraged to read it—too scared to discover what else Cullen may have said. But Varric had been right: he'd stood up to the injustices around him when it'd mattered most.

With a faint groan, she set her head down onto the edge of Josephine's desk where she'd been working as the ambassador greeted guests and ensured their support. Kaitlyn picked at a scratch in the old wood, desperate to think of anything else she could do besides writing to her father. Josephine insisted on accepting the alliances offered by Trevelyan house and Kaitlyn's refusal had only increased Josephine's stubbornness. Letters every day. Treaties 'accidentally' left around. Not-so-subtle hints about the benefits and funds of being attached to her family. Her brothers, she would meet. But her father and his fortunes could burn for all she cared.

A low growl from her stomach sealed her decision as she abandoned the letters in search of food. Her hand was on the latch when the door opened, sending Kaitlyn back several paces.

Fiona stepped forward, eyes narrowed, her brown skin darkened with a flush of rage. Even with a near foot of difference between their heights, the raw power of the woman's presence made Kaitlyn nervous.

"You promised that the phylacteries would be returned to the mages, Inquisitor," Fiona said.

"I know," Kaitlyn said after she'd righted herself. "And I apologize, Grand Enchanter, I..." She faltered, unsure of what to say. How could she tell this woman that she'd placed that power with Cullen because she'd wanted to see what he would do? Fiona would think her frivolous—foolish. And she'd probably be right.

"It's a temporary measure," Kaitlyn said. "I promise that they'll be returned to their proper owners in time. For now, they're guarded by members of each party, including a Seeker so that—"

"A Seeker?" Fiona asked. "A Seeker and a templar to one mage? It was a Seeker who started the war, Inquisitor; are you expecting them to play the diplomat simply because you tell them to?"

"What?" Kaitlyn frowned. "No. It—it was Anders in Kirkwall that sparked the rebellions."

Fiona scoffed, stepping farther into the room. Her hands were tight around the staff she carried—unlike most mages, she'd refused to let it out of her sight for more than a few minutes at a time. "Did Leliana not tell you? Or your First Enchanter? I suppose I shouldn't be surprised—Loyalists often deny the truth in front of their eyes. You know of the gathering of First Enchanters and myself two years ago, yes?"

"I do."

"And you know what happened?"

Kaitlyn's frown deepened. Her First Enchanter had been too sick to attend, leaving only speculation and rumors before the bulk of the mages had abandoned Ostwick Circle. "... No, not really. There was supposed to be a vote, but fighting broke out among the mages and templars before anything could be decided."

"A lie," Fiona said. "We gathered to vote on whether or not mages should separate from the Chantry, but Lord Seeker Lambert declared the meeting to be treason. He butchered the mages there with help from the Templar Order. That is what caused the war, Inquisitor. We tried to separate peacefully, to be free in a way that would harm no one. In response, they slaughtered and imprisoned us like criminals—like animals. And afterwards, Circles throughout Thedas were annulled for no reason. They murdered children in droves. One mage destroyed one building and they used it as an excuse to kill us all with no care for innocence or justice.