Brainwashed Ecstasy

Three hours later- Alaska.....

Dr. Cornelius paces his lab. He is hard at work. Mixing chemicals, observing their reactions and recording his observations. He need answers to the many questions that baffle his intellect. Solutions are required for him to proceed with his work. This is a matter of absolute importance. It has the potential to be the highlight of his career. The subjects were more than able to adapt and respond to the stone's touch. His lab has changed from a depressing holding zone for test subjects to an elevating environment for the expansion of knowledge. They kept him here so that he could build them a soldier. However, the end game was not just a soldier, but an army. One capable enough of conquering the world and creating a new rule and dynasty. They wanted it that way and he was their means of getting there. The lab he excitedly paced was illuminated by a blinding light from the central pillar of glass that housed a shimmering stone, in all its blue splendor. 

This is the means to a new glory.

The means to a new age.

As the slightly unhinged doctor paces his lab, he moves over and stands infront of three upright glass containers and inside were the bodies of the four human beings who are being tested and experimented upon....to change and evolve into beings of new power.  

The experiment between (f/n) (l/n) and the Covenant was a resounding success. He was able to unlock the power residing within him and even more importantly the Covenant was actually able to speak to him. There is definitely a connection between them. The Covenant never speaks. Dr. Cornelius paces his lab even more. More questions and less answers.

Maybe the four beings are connected. Their powers all came from the same source. 

A fake infinity stone...

...or that is the name that is has just been attached to it after this Battle in New York. This is the by-product of years of scientific ingenuity. When HYDRA infiltrated S.H.I.E.L.D decades ago, they made sure to steal all research on the weapon used in the battle between the madman Johann Schmidt and Captain America. Then this research was then again stolen from HYDRA and this time the men behind this heist made sure to make a replica of their own with a resounding success. It's power output was nowhere near the capabilities of the original weapon but the what was created was more than enough to wipe a city the size of New York out in a matter of seconds. 

What was even more important was the application of this power once successfully transferred to a person.  In the Covenant, it was the ability to enhance their overall human abilities as well as spatial distortion on a small scale. It made them the perfect assassins. How they were faster, stronger, smarter...characteristics needed for a new type of army. One not constrained to physical necessities such as guns and protective armour. However, the three candidates who volunteered to become such great weapons experienced a slight setback, they all became connected through their minds, a small hive-mind of sorts. They now lack the individuality they possessed before but they were now stronger than ever being able to co-ordinate their moves on a mental level eliminating the need for verbal communication.

(f/n) (l/n) was different. 

He was on a way more powerful level. 

Before Dr. Cornelius could even begin his analysis of the unconscious boy, his thoughts were instantly interrupted by his assistant, shouting at his superior, "Dr. Cornelius, we have an urgent situation developin-"

The doctor was not amused in anyway at this disturbance, "What it is!" He cuts the young man off from finishing his sentence.

" Sir... the Avengers..they're here.."

"What!!!that's impossible!" said the now shocked Cornelius whose face was slowly enveloping in anger. "How did they find us?"

"Sir, the craft that delivered the second artificial stone two days ago had a tracker on it," 

"Imbeciles!!!!!!" shouted the doctor as he slammed his fist on the table. "We need to leave this installation. Prepare to transfer all necessary resources and inform all personnel to destroy everything else. Get the portal online and set it to self-destruct after we have moved everything we need to the other side. How much time do we have until they arrive Daniels?"

His assistant quickly replies, "Around ten minutes, however, I began preparations the minute we detected their plane on sensors, we are nearly done transferring all necessary equipment. Also I propose that whilst the Avengers are busy occupied with trying to unravel what occurred here that we move on with schedule sir."

The doctor's once angry demeanor changes and he is now planning his next step, "What do you propose?"

"I propose Operation 23 sir."

Cornelius then turns to his human experiments as they float in sleep in their glass pods and ponders his assistants words. "Very well, begin the operation at once."

15 minutes later...

By the time the Avengers make it through the destroyed enemy complex and enters what is Dr. Cornelius' lab, everything is destroyed and he is gone along with his work.

"Well it looks like we missed the parade. Who wants to head back to the tower and drink with me cuz this rodeo looks so productive right now" quips Iron Man.

"Is sex and alcohol all you think about Tony?" rebuts Black Widow

"Well, I also think about my good looks, my money and the size of my di-"

"Shut up, Tony!!" shouts Hawkeye, "We don't want to hear about what's going on in your head"

Before Iron Man could come up with an appropriate rebuttal for his teammates, he gets an emergency notice from Stark Tower. It's one of the break-in alarms. All the cameras for the upper floors are offline.

Someone has broken into Stark Tower and it's currently 9 o' clock in the night in New York.

"Uh guys...we've got a problem.." was all Tony could say to his comrades as it's only been a day since the invasion. Preparations aren't even made for the conversion of Stark Tower into Avengers Tower. 

And as one of the cameras suspiciously comes back online, Tony is only able to watch as four hooded figures run through one of the hallways and sneaks into his lab.

A sinister mission is underfoot and the Avengers are too far away to respond in time.