Chapter 31: 5 AM

Harold's Pov:
I slammed my hand against my alarm clock that once again woke me up from a good night's sleep. I yawned softly as I rubbed my eyes trying to fully wake up for the day ahead of me. I looked at the other side of the room to see an empty bed with the blanket and pillow barely touched. I worry slightly knowing that George hasn't returned at all from last night and he could be lost. But, then again, he probably is in the library and decided to sleep over at Melvin's place when he was done. Typical when they're going on a date tomorrow at 7 PM. I go to the bathroom and start my usual morning routine by going to the toilet and then brushing my teeth. Yet, I couldn't help but, notice that George's toothbrush wasn't in the cup that holds our toothbrushes. Why would George need to bring a toothbrush with him? Did he really plan on just going to the library for the night? My curiosity got the best of me as I slowly left the bathroom with my toothbrush still hanging on the side of my mouth. I go into our room and see his backpack and uniform gone. This just adds more evidence to my theory that he planned on going to the library and Melvin's place. I walk toward the bathroom again and finish up brushing my teeth. I look into the mirror and stare at my reflection for a while while I remember what happened last night. That whole argument we had was really childish but, I couldn't help myself. I didn't need George's opinion on how I changed throughout these past years. Yet, I bet he would say the same. I don't even know who is at fault anymore.

I leave the bathroom, going back to the bedroom until something catches my eye. A single piece of paper left on the dinner table with my name on it along with a paragraph. It could be a report card or something else of mine. I shake my head slightly and get back on my route to the bedroom to change. I grab my uniform and put it on slowly as my mind kept getting distracted by that paper. I groaned slightly as I finished changing and walked over to the dinner table. I grab the paper and begin to read it.

"Dear Harold,
If you are reading this then, you will notice I am not here. I lied to you about the library thing and well, I'm staying over at a friend's place for the time being. So, don't worry about me (though I very much doubt you will considering your personality and attitude). Anyway, yeah, that's where am I for now. I left some snacks and some meals for you in the fridge. When I decide to come back, I'll send you a message. But, for now, don't try to call or text me. I really don't need contact with you.

- George"

I put the paper down on the table and look down for a minute or two. I'm not sure how to react. I feel guilty for some reason yet, I feel glad that he left. This whole letter is sending me mixed messages and I don't know which feeling is right or wrong. I quickly look at the time and realize I need to head to work. I grab my school backpack along with my work jacket and keys to the dorm. I walk toward the door and lock it behind me then, I start to run to the gas station as to not be late.

Damn, George. First, that stupid argument and now, I'm on the verge of being late to work. Yet, I think my theory is proven, George really did stay over at Melvin's place for I don't know how long. I just hope to God that nerd won't do anything slick or sneaky, I know him too well. But, at the same time, what do I care? They're going on a date soon and maybe George will have some closure from what happened back in Elementary School. Yet, saying it out loud, it kinda hurts to think about it.

"Harold, there you! I thought you would be calling in sick or you were slacking off!" My manager exclaimed as I finally make it the gas station. "I'm sorry, it's just stuff happened at my dorm and I really didn't notice the time," I responded, trying to catch my breath. "Alright, well, go hang your stuff and put on that jacket. We need work to be done here!" My manager spoke, going inside the small store as followed after. "Yeah, thanks. I'll work hard today to make it up." I replied, heading off to the area where employees put their stuff for safekeeping.

I put in my backpack in my own locker of the area and then finally put on my work jacket. I close my locker and head outside to start my job. I let out a huge sigh of relief knowing I wouldn't lose my job here today. Yet, I can't stop thinking about that damn note. Everything about it kept sending me mixed signals that are either good, bad, or just in-between. George admitted to lying to me, told me he was staying at a friend's place, and then, told me not to contact him.

The way he wrote everything seemed more like a disappointment for him to write. He seemed so angry and disappointed in me to the point where he told me to not try to contact him. I hear a car horn beep and I snap out of my thoughts. I look over to see a car pass in front of me and the window lowers down. I ask the usual questions and the customers hand me the money necessary. It was all really plain, simple, stuff that I get sick of doing.

Yet, today I don't feel sick of doing this.