A New Place

"hmmmmmmmmmmm..." Loki groaned as he regained consciousness.Where am I? What happened?  Loki tried to stand but immediately felt weak and fell back to his knees in defeat. It was as if the heat was draining his energy. He had clearly used too much of his magic. He needed rest desperately. He looked left then right only to find the same scenery everywhere. Dirt, cactuses, and tumble weeds littered the lands surrounding the road. Loki managed to stand up, head pounding and ears ringing he began his journey hoping there was a town nearby where he could seek shelter. The ringing sounded more and more like a humming as it rapidly grew louder and louder until finally Loki stumbled left and was hit with an immense pressure. The sound of a screeching stop, and panicked voices is all that he could hear. The heat waves danced across the black concrete twisting what he saw. Loki noticed his eyes felt heavier and heavier and heavier until he decided to close them.

Loki drew in a quick breath as he opened his eyes. He still couldn't see or hear but slowly he felt his senses flooding back to him. He could hear a boys voice "Oh my god! He's breathing, we didn't kill him!" As his eyes adjusted to the light Loki saw a sweet face of a young boy no older than Loki himself. Face painted with concern he asked Loki "Are you ok?" "Yeah..." his voice sounded cold and raspy. He tried to sit up but as soon as he began to lift up he felt his head rush with blood till he had to drop back down. "Be careful!" the boy said. "Give him some space Peter." an older man yelled from a short distance away. Peter. What a nice name. "Where am I?" he croaked. This time Loki heard an older woman respond "I'm sorry we didn't want to leave you there on the road all alone so we took you with us. We wanted to get you to a hospital as soon as possible but there isn't one for at least another 100 miles. You're currently in Granny's Motel just off the Interstate 40. Do you have any family we could contact?" Miles? Granny's motel? Interstate 40? Could she just slow down! "Wha- What? No." Head throbbing Loki tried to make sense of everything. "I'm sorry but where are we? Is this Midgard?" The boy, Peter, leaned over as if to get a closer look curiosity lighting up his eyes. "Midgard? This is New Mexico! Where did you say you were from exactly?" New Mexico? That must be one of those silly names for Midgard land. "Oh I'm not from here" Peter "Well obviously!" The confidence in his voice took Loki by surprise. Wait he understands that I'm not from here?!? I thought Midgardians didn't understand the nine realms? Peter clearly didn't notice Loki's shock as he continued on "No one from New Mexico would be wearing pants or any clothing made with such thick material. It's way too hot for that!" Ohhhh he meant I'm not from New Mexico that makes sense.... "So if not here, where are you from?" Memories of Asgard and his childhood made Loki cringe "It doesn't matter where I'm from." Peter looked entertained and gave a short half laugh. God he's freckles are adorable. And the way his nose scrunches.... what am I doing. Focus! "Ohhhhhh mysterious! So a run away I presume?" "Peter stop interrogating the poor boy." An older man said as he came into view and pulled Peter out of view. "You got a name son?" He asked. His voice was a weird mix of soft and caring while still demanding authority. "My name's Loki. And you are?" The man straightened up and announced "I'm Ben and this is my wife May and our nephew Peter." "Pleased to meet you Loki." May added. "The pleasure is all mine."

Late into the night Loki lay still in the bed the nice family provided him. The boy Peter lie so close next to him Loki could almost feel his warmth. He couldn't sleep. A million thoughts raced through his mind. The hatred in his fathers eyes. Thor full heartedly wanting Loki dead. His mother. Oh Frigga. Did she know? Does she too want him dead? Frigga was always there for Loki growing up. She taught him magic and cared for him while Odin was off praising Thor. His heart ached for his mother. He could never go home again, and could never see her again. Suddenly the room was suffocating. I have to get out of here. I'm a monster, I ruined my family already I can't ruin this one too. So he crawled out of bed, snuck out the door and made it a half way down the hall before he heard Peter groggily question "Loki?" He turned around to the boy jogging at him "Hey where you going? Can I come?" Loki answered in the coldest voice he could "I'm leaving, I've caused enough damage as it is I don't want to cause more." Peter grabbed onto Loki's shoulder and said "what are you talking about you haven't caused any damage" emotions of guilt confusion and just overall loss built up in Loki as he responded coldly "Not to your family, not yet anyway." Peter pulled Loki in to an embrace "You are a runaway aren't you. What happened?" It was at this moment in the arms of a cute boy he had just met did Loki open up. He finally let out all the rage and loss he had been holding back. Tears running down his cheeks he came clean to Peter about everything, how he had always felt second best, how he was about to be king, how he was the monster everyone feared. All the while Peter sat there attentively listening not questioning the fact that Loki was not of human origin. In the end Peter just stared at Loki. Loki feared he would go running to wake Ben and May so they could grab their pitch forks and torches and run him out of New Mexico too if not all of Midgard. Instead Peter once again grabbed Loki into an embrace, but this time he squeezed on tighter and held him for a while then whispered in his ear "I'm so sorry for your family. But you can stay with mine if you want." And Loki felt this warm fuzzy feeling spread through him as he hugged Peter back.