The Original Chen Lu

Zhu Chen Lu is the only daughter of Minister Zhu's first wife, Madame Senli Yuri. She has one older and fully biological brother named Zhu Xin. Madame Senli came from the famous Duke Senli family and had helped Minister Zhu paved his way to where he is today. Unfortunately, she passed away 6 years ago because of chronic illness.

About two weeks ago, Chen Lu received a letter from young Master Li Wei asking to urgently meet at the Moon Tavern on the outskirt of town. Seeing that the word urgent was stressed so many times, Chen Lu's naïve-self wasted no time - wanting to hurry to where her fiancé was. Taking Ju Lo, a servant driver, and one carriage only, she headed towards the outskirt.

Tragically, her older brother Zhu Xin happened to visit her on that day and found the letter. After reading over the contents, Zhu Xin immediately felt that something was strange and knowing how dangerous the outskirt of the city is, he hurried after Chen Lu on a horse.

Riding faster than he had ever ridden in his life, when Zhu Xin neared the Moon Tavern he saw a group of 5 people dressed in all black, dashing towards Chen Lu's carriage with their weapons drawn.

Petrified for Chen Lu, Zhu Xin drew his sword and dash towards the group. Unfortunately, he was not as quick as he wanted to be and right before his eyes, he saw a person in black stabbed their sword into Chen Lu's chest, just missing her heart by a tiny bit.

Rushing forward towards Chen Lu, completely disregarding the people in black rushing at him, Xin was able to decapitate the person who stabbed Chen Lu, but unfortunately, this left him open to the other members of the assassin group.

Even though Chen Lu had fallen, the group in black appeared to be determined to decapitate Chen Lu. Fortunately for both Chen Lu and Zhu Xin, as Zhu Xin was falling and losing, a group of people happened to pass by and drove away the group of assassins.

When the passersby brought the two siblings back, Chen Lu had long ago fainted. Zhu Xin, too, had become unconscious and he was covered with numerous wounds from head to toe. The doctor whom Minister Zhu brought in, helped bandage the two siblings up, but stated that the wounds were poisoned, and their chances of surviving was very slim. The doctor added that since the wounds were poisoned, even if they did survive, the wound on Chen Lu's chest and the wounds on Zhu Xin's face and body will form permanent scars. Zhu Xin may even become permanently disabled because of the injuries to his tendons.

Hearing all this, Minister Zhu was enraged. Over the years, Minister Zhu had gathered many concubines, hoping for another son, but no matter how much he tried, only girls were produced.

Zhu Xin was his only heir and he was now useless. Cursing from the depths of his heart, Minister Zhu could care less about Chen Lu at this point. Turning his anger to others, he ordered for all the servants in Zhu Xin's yard to be beaten and sold for not properly watching their Master and allowing him to fall to such a state.

But, with the majority of the servants and maids there belonging to Madame Gong, she persuaded and suggested that the reason why the eldest young Master is hurt may have been because of Chen Lu's willfulness. She pleaded for Minister Zhu to spare the servants/maids and Ju Lo supported the claim that Chen Lu had indeed been very willful in the matter. This caused Minister Zhu to become even more angry with Chen Lu, he did not even bother to check on her wounds nor cared to order the doctor to prescribe Chen Lu any medication.

...

Even though the doctor had claimed that the chances of Chen Lu regaining conscious were very slim, Chen Lu somehow beat the odds and just last night, when the bridal switch was finalized, Chen Lu woke up. Unfortunately for Chen Lu, the one who discovered her was Ju Lo and she immediately went to get Ling Mama (Madame Gong's dowry Mama), Eldest Miss Yu Xiao, and Madame Gong.

They all entered Chen Lu's room with hateful expressions. Especially Zhu Yu Xiao. If looks could kill, the sheer look on Yu Xiao's face would have sent Chen Lu to the deepest and darkest parts of the underworld. When she heard the physician say that there was a very high chance that Chen Lu would not wake up, she was thrilled. Although she felt it would have been better if the assassins would have decapitated Chen Lu's head, she was still satisfied with having Chen Lu in a vegetative state. But now, just as their plan had progressed to the ending phases, Chen Lu just had to wake back up. Yu Xiao could not stop herself from grinding her teeth as she glared coldly at the weak and confuse expression on Chen Lu's pale face.

"M-Mother.." Chen Lu weakly spoke from the bed.

Madame Gong twitched her brow and walked closer to Chen Lu with Ling Mama and Yu Xiao.

"Chen Lu." Madame Gong called out in her usual pretentious soft tone.

Forcing her head to turn to see the three, Chen Lu felt tears well in her eyes. "Mother, I- where is my eldest brother? I-Is he ..okay?" Pain and regret shone in Chen Lu's eyes.

Madame Gong lowered her eyelids. Tugging her gentle smile into a mocking sneer, Madame Gong raised her chin haughtily. "Stupid child. You should be more worry about yourself than your foolish brother. Do you still not know the state you are in."

Hearing the ridiculing and mirth filled tone in Madame Gong's voice as she said those words, Chen Lu's eyes widened.

Sure, Madame Gong usually does call her 'stupid child' and call her eldest brother 'foolish' but, she had always said it with a loving and playful tone, never like this. Chen Lu felt stunned. 

A/N: If you enjoyed the story and want to help sponsor a chapter >>>> https://ko-fi.com/serendipitystories

For every $30 raised, an additional chapter will be posted. Up to two additional chapters per a week.