Chapter Nine

April was surprisingly warm for that time of year. We had one week left of University before a two week break. I was returning to my house for a week, then I would spend the last week with Chris. I was finally going to meet his family. I was nervous but excited. He even insisted on coming to pick me up from my house, but I felt the four and a half hour, two train change journey was too much to ask of him so I decided to brave it all by myself.

It was a warm Thursday evening and I was sat on my bed writing an essay. I hadn't seen Chris today because he was busy practicing with the band. They still hadn't decided on a name yet and I still hadn't heard them play. Chris had been stressing out because they had tried to get some gigs together but for various reasons it didn't work out. I wanted him to be succesful more than anything, he was born for a career in music. Rather selfishly I wanted to keep him for myself forever. We were slowly seeing less and less of each other and I missed him. It wasn't impacting on our relationship too much but it was noticeable.

It was about 7:45pm when a knock sounded on my door. I let the mystery guest in. It was Chris. I hugged him tight. I didn't even notice I was crying.

"Oh, love. What's the matter darling?" He said as he released me from his hug and held my head in his hands. He wiped away my anguished tears and my hurt with his thumbs. His gentle touch soothed me instantly.

"I missed you." I said shakily between sobs as he wrapped his arm around my waist and steered me to the bed. We sat on the edge of my bed and I buried my head in his chest. He was silent for a few moments, choosing his words I suspected.

"I'm sorry." I looked up to his face. "I didn't realise I was spending that much time with them. I never ever want to hurt you, sweetie. Ever. I feel so guilty, it's hard to juggle uni, the band and of course you. But you mean more to me than anything else. I don't want a band if I can't have you as well." He held my shoulders and looked into my eyes with a sincere look as he spoke. "Now, love." He combed a stray piece of hair out of my eyes and tucked it behind my ear gently. "I came here for a very important reason." He kissed my lips gently. "We're ready for you to hear us now." I looked up in surprise. "Tonight," And then he stood, took my hand and marched us off into the evening.

I wondered how we were going to get to their rehearsal space at Jonny's flat.

"We'll hop on the tube, it's only a couple of stops." It was as if he read my mind.

"Okay." I smiled as we hopped on the escalators, Chris had insisted on paying for my ticket. We travelled deeper and deeper into the heart of the City. "Chris, I'm so excited you know. When you're winning Grammys and all that, whatever bands win, I'll be proud to say I was the first person to hear you."

He squeezed my hand and giggled. We reached the platform. "I don't think that'll ever happen but it's a nice thought. I'm nervous as hell. I've written a song for you, see. I just hope you like it."

"Chris, the thought of it makes me so giddy I can't even explain." I momentarily stopped speaking as the tube pulled up and we got on it. "You'll be fine, trust me." I squeezed his hand and smiled at him. "I believe in you."

* * *

The band's HQ (it was in actual fact Jonny's flat) was cramped and stuffy. Will had a drum kit, muted by clothes and bed sheets. Jonny and Guy had their guitars on their laps. Chris had a tiny little keyboard and an acoustic guitar. They'd just about managed to squeeze an extra chair for me to sit on too! I took it as they talked me through their first song, called Panic. It was a guitar driven, up tempo song and Chris's voice sounded absolutely perfect, to my ears at least. They played a couple more called High Speed and Bigger Stronger. Then Chris turned to me.

"Now...uh. Before I, uh...begin this one I just want to say...I wrote this song the day we went on our first date at the park and I'm...uh terrified. This song means so much to me. I just hope you like it as much as I do."

Without even giving me a chance to reply he started playing his guitar. It was the most beautiful sound any instrument had ever produced. I had never heard another guitar piece quite like it, it was haunting and beautiful. I had shivers running up and down my spine. And then he sang. After the first chorus Jonny joined in on his guitar, I thought Guy was playing some bass notes but I couldn't really tell. The lyrics reduced me to tears instantly. Will was keeping time with a shaker and I noticed how focused they all were. They were so professional, even in front of just me.

The song ended and Chris looked up at me. I started laughing slightly hysterically as I wiped away some tears. He placed his guitar down and rushed over to me.

"Oh, god! We weren't that bad were we?!" He said, hugging me from his standing position as I laughed into his stomach.

"No, Chris." I stood up to look at him properly. "You were amazing. That song is...perfect. I'm crying because nobody's ever done something like that for me before."

"Thank God." He turned to face the band, his arm still wrapped around my waist. "Lads, we made it! We impressed the most important person in the world to me!" He smiled at me.

They all made vomiting noises as we were instructed to "Get a room.". It was hilarious, I loved their friendship. Chris started packing his guitar away into its case, he was so gentle with it. It was adorable.

"Hey guys, if you two want to go, we'll take care of packing up." Will said, placing a hand on Chris's shoulder.

Chris stood up. "Aw, thanks mate. See you Friday, yeah?"

"That's fine for us." Will turned to walk away but stopped. "And make sure you bring this one again, I've never heard you play so well." He said as he gestured to me, Chris laughed.

"Oh yeah. She'll be here." He winked at me.

We said goodbye to Guy and Jonny and thanked them again as we made our way to the door. Chris was carrying his guitar, he said he brought it with him so he could write songs at night when he couldn't sleep back at his flat which, all too soon, we found ourselves standing in front of. But I didn't want to leave him and he didn't want to leave me. So he gathered up some of his things and came back to my place. We didn't usually do it when we had lectures the next morning but neither of us really cared, this was the longest we had seen each other in a while.

But as I slept soundly in his arms that night, my emotions weren't all positive. I knew at that moment I had lost him to the world. He was too talented to be mine for much longer...