If Not Now, Then When?

Start from the beginning

"Anyway," She shot Brittany one last dirty look before handing West an A4 sized picture of Yolanda doing the splits on what appeared to be a kitchen counter, while wearing a leopard print bikini. "Vote Yolanda for prom Queen."

Ophelia gave West a thousand megawatt smile before strutting away to bother the rest of Easton High's students.

"You should totally sign up for prom king."

"That's a stupid idea if I've ever heard one. And you seem to have forgotten that I'm the most hated student in school at the moment. Well, at every moment."

She shook her head, "So not true."

"You don't have to lie."

The first bell of the day rang. West heaved himself from Brittany's neighboring locker then adjusted the straps on his backpack. "Later."

"Later", She winked. "Oh and uh, We're going to a party tonight."

"We'll see about that."

West had been holed up in his room the entire week, he only ever left it for school and work. And judging by how angry he'd be every time he came home from Shirley's shop, he didn't enjoy it that much. He needed some entertainment. Brittany would drag him to the party if she had to.

A senior who used the locker adjacent to hers arrived and hurriedly tried to open his locker before the warning bell rang. "Hey, kid," She called out.

The senior looked at her quizzically, "We're in the same English class..."

"Whatever. Kit Kat or Snickers?"

"Uh... Snickers?"

"Cool." She propped open her locker door again and stuck her hand inside the brown paper bag, emerging with a Snickers bar. She threw it to the senior and grinned. "Vote West Rickert for Prom King."

------------------------------

"I can't believe I let you sway me into this."

West and Brittany had arrived at the end of year party an hour ago. It was at the same house that West had been to, almost 3 months ago. The same house in which he'd met Killian. He hoped he wasn't here. He saw enough of him at work.

"C'MON, WE'RE HAVING FUN!" Brittany yelled over the loud techno music. She placed her empty orange soda can onto the nearest table, grabbed West's hands then pulled him onto the crowded dancefloor.

"How do people even listen to this shit?"

"This shit-- doesn't matter when you're drunk."

West scanned the crowd. His heart hammered in his chest every time he caught a glimpse of blonde hair. Safe to say he was a little bit paranoid.

He let go off Brittany's hands only for a second to check if his phone was still in his back pocket, but when he glanced up again, Brittany had disappeared. He sighed exasperatedly.

Why am I here, again?

Still, it was better than being at home. Things were still a bit tense between him and his father.
He made his way out of the stuffy living room, and into the backyard. He had a wall to lean up against.
--------
Killian sat with his feet dipped into the pool with two girls at his sides. Not just any two girls, the most popular girls in school, Yolanda and Ophelia. It was expected, though. He was also one of the most popular guys in school. Birds of a feather and all that.

"I can't believe West did that to you! Such. An. Asshole." Yolanda expressed with fake concern as she ran a hand comfortingly through Killian's hair.
She didn't care though, she was just happy to have Killian in her claws again. She wanted everyone to know that Killian was hers. Including the boy leaning against the brick wall, staring longingly at them from across the pool.

"Well, he always was a bit rough, if you know what I mean." Ophelia giggled.

"No." Yolanda hissed. "No, we don't know what you mean."

"Well, you know... In bed and stuff?"

Killian sucked in a shuddering breath. He didn't know that Ophelia and West had once dated. The idea that they had once gotten close, gotten intimate, that West had probably bared himself to her, irked him.
He figured that maybe he just wasn't good enough for West. If he could date someone like Ophelia, why couldn't he date him?

Killian wasn't a very judgemental person, but he knew the difference between a good person, and a wicked one. Yolanda and Ophelia were wicked.
Yes, he was hanging out with them, but what else could he do? He had no friends. And these girls seemed to crave his company, it was either them, or his bully football mates.

"Just shut up and get Killian and I a refill. Godddddd." Yolanda groaned.

Ophelia pursed her lips then got up without another word.

"She's so annoying! Anyway, now that we're alone..."

Yolanda put her arms around Killian's neck and pulled him down for a sloppy kiss.

Disgusting. But at least I'm getting kissed.
------

"Really gets under your skin, doesn't he?"

West rolled his eyes when the person he'd tried to avoid like the plague his whole life (And failed), leaned up against the wall right next to him. "Not now, Steven."

"If not now, then when?"

West tore his eyes from the scene unfolding right across from him and directed a glare at Steven. "I'd like to be left alone."

Steven was like that one cockroach that just wouldn't die no matter how many times you used bug spray on it.

"Y'know..." Steven began as he ran his eyes up and down West's body, "I did the exact same thing, pulled away when he started going around my defenses. Only difference is, I fucked him before I left. Which is more than I can say for you."

"You're sick, y'know that?"

Steven let out a low menacing laugh at West's comment, "Good luck with your little boyfriend."

West watched Steven walk away, leaving a musky scent trail behind him. He also walked with an aura of confidence. False confidence. It was hardly noticable, but West noticed. He'd noticed how he'd tear people down to feel better about himself, how he'd beat on anyone who was smaller, or weaker than him.

But there was a quote in Stoic Philosophy that read; "All cruelty springs from weakness." Steven Murphy pretended to be a tough guy, but it was all just a farce. In reality, he was just a scared little boy.
_____________________________