Chapter 17: Twelve Miles East From Here

Start from the beginning

"You know what we saw last night." Jane snaps to him. I stand there and watch as their conversation unfolds. "This can't be a coincidence. I want to know what's in that crater and he is the only one who can tell us."

Lies. I can, but of course I do not like the other multiple times I didn't bother to say anything. It is a fear that has grown over time from all of the accusing rumors that has spread through the town. Because of that, people tend to keep away from me, and that was when I have learnt to keep my thoughts shut.

"I'm not talking about the crater." Erik murmurs to her. "I'm talking about him."
After that, they mutter. Thor knows that they do not trust him, which is rude. How does he come off as an untrusting man? I mean, if I was a thoughtless mortal, as most are, I possibly would not trust Thor as easily.

Jane heaves a sigh and turns to me. "I'm sorry Delilah, but you can't. Erik has a point."

I open my mouth, ready to spew debating reasons. But there are large groups of people, staring at us. I swallow and nervous glance around before giving up on fighting for this.

"Very well," I utter. I advert my attention to Thor with apologetic eyes. "I am terribly sorry, but I cannot take you."

"I understand." Thor confirms my saddening words. "Then this is where we say goodbye."

I take in a sharp breathe, feeling my throat and chest burn with regret and shame. I have said goodbye to him in the past, and I hated it so much. And now he is the one who bids his farewells, and it burns my heart, therefore my eyes burn with threatening tears.

Surprisingly, Thor grabs hold of my right hand within his. Ironically, I feel electricity shoot through my veins and down my spine. In return I shiver. Thor places his lips onto the back of my hand, gentle and chaste, but that's enough for me to feel fuzzy. My cheeks begin to sting and I have the emotion of embarrassment racking through my heart.

"I-I . . . T-Thank you." Is all I can say, more like stutter.

He simpers in return and bows to me, then to my temporary caretakers. "Delilah, Jane Foster, Erik Slevig, Darcy. Farewell."
With that, he starts his journey to find Mjolnir. I stand here, watching as he walks away and down the street. It is most wonderful that I have my Thor back, and he has also acknowledged my presences. That is good, maybe I will be able to reveal who I am to him and I will finally be able to return back to Asgard.

"Come on Lilah." Darcy ushers. "You look like an idiot just sanding there."

I snap out of it and start my way back to the van, glancing back a few times to ensure his safety. I really did want to go with him and retrieve his items, I felt guilty that I could not. But instead, I jump into the vehicle and bring it to life, and I instantly regret not going with him.

~~~~~~

"Lilah do you actual believe in him?" Jane mutters to me as low as she could. Currently, Darcy and Erik are arguing about a phenomenon that Erik does not approve of. To top it with that, they're extremely loud, which is Darcy's fault.

"Of course I do." I answer back truthfully. "To be frank, I wish that I didn't listen to you guys."

Jane closes her eyes and rub her temples stressfully. "I know I know, we should've went with him. Regardless of how crazy it did sound." She leans be back into the seat and rests, her hazel eyes thoughtfully gazing at the metal pale grey ceiling.

I keep my vision on the road, but notice that there is an abundance of black vehicles. I furrow my eyebrows and examine the humans who control the contraptions. All of the men are wearing black suits, along with sunglasses. They seem to be aware of their surroundings, constantly checking each and every road and car.