PROLOGUE.

It's awkward. It's so terribly awkward.

You smile stiffly at the boy in front of you, watching as he regards you with half-lidded eyes and an air of disinterest as he leans back on his messily made bed. His dark fringe spills over his forehead and into his crescent shaped eyes, which he uses to scrutinize you into a fidgeting mess.

"H-Hello, I'm [Name], your new roommate. I hope we get along." To be honest, that's not exactly all you hope for, but you keep it to yourself. Angering the weird kid was something that was not on your bucketlist for this summer, and you would like to keep it that way.

The boy, once again, shows no apparent emotion but he nods slowly, still observing you through his puffy lids. Supressing a huff of distress, you now at least know he can hear you. Grabbing your bags, you make your way to your side of the room, which looks like it's been untouched for years. A layer of dust blankets the darkly colored sheets, a cob web is woven into the back of the wooden desk chair, and a dead cockaroach lies idly by one of the legs of the bed. You scrunch your nose up in distaste, nearly sneezing from the amount of dust particles that float through the air.

Turning around, you look at the boy, whose name you still don't know, and clash gazes with him as he is already staring straight at you. He tilts his head a bit, watching in childlike curiosity as you quickly avert eye contact and flush an unsightly shade of red.

"Uhmm.. when was the last time someone slept in this bed?" You inquire a bit hesitantly, feeling as though you may offend him somehow. The dark-haired boy is quiet for a long time, as if he hadn't even heard you. The awkwardness is so much that it feels like an elephant is sitting on your neck and crushing your ribs beneath its foot.

Just when you begin to feel foolish, he responds.

"No one else has been in here but me." His voice sends a chill up your spine, and not the pleasant kind. His voice is light and airy, easy to distinguish and fall into, but it pierces you so.

You can only nod slowly, feeling your heart swell. Maybe you feel a bit bad that everyone avoids him at all costs without question. Considering the rumors that have spread about him, you can understand why, but they are called rumors for a reason. Truthfully, you don't even know why you avoid him.

You heave your bags on top of the bed and begin to unpack to make it look like you are doing something productive for once. In all honesty, you just don't want the boy to try and talk to you, so occupying yourself might deter his advances. The drawers of the small dresser creak open with much effort and feel sticky for a reason you don't think you want to find out about. You neatly arrange your clothes the same way you would at home – the familiarity makes you feel a bit better and when you set the last of your shirts down in the top drawer, you actually feel a bit better.

Sighing, you glance at the boy that lays in the bed parallel from yours and see that he is occupied by his phone, tapping away feverishly at the screen. You wonder if he's texting someone or playing a game; neither of which seem like things he would do, but you end up minding your own business.

Your thoughts wanders after a few minutes of idling and you suddenly remember that you were invited to the campfire outing the staff had set up earlier. Since it was your first day at camp, they wanted to throw a special event for all of the newcomers where they smoked hot dogs and marshmellows over a fire.

While socializing isn't really your forté, you are rather enamoured at the thought of free food, so you haul yourself up and make your way to the small bathroom on the other side of the room to freshen up. You brush your teeth and style your hair accordingly before collecting your phone, a can of bug spray, and other things you feel are necessary to bring along.

"Where are you going?"

The voice stops you right in your tracks. Slowly, you turn around to face the source. The boy sits on the edge of his bed now, his eyebrows furrowed together and lips pursed. You gulp.

"Uh, t-there's a campfire outing.. They'll be providing food for us. Would you like to—"

"No."

And he settles back in his bed, phone in his hands, his back facing towards you. You are in shock for a moment, wondering how you just got rejected by someone who probably doesn't even have any friends. Why did you think going to a summer camp was going to be any fun?

Sighing for the umpteenth time that day, you recollect yourself and exit the cabin house, almost thankful that you are able to get a break from the suffocating awkwardness that stagnates the air around your new cabinmate. Let's hope you don't have to deal with him when you come back.

EXTRA:

He lays on his side, his eyes trained on his phone, squinting with effort through the bright blue the screen exudes. Every once in a while, he finds himself glancing at your side of the room where some of your belongings lay astray, wondering when you will return.

You had only been in the same room as him for about twenty minutes, but as alone as he is, he can't help but find himself already missing your presence.