xxii: the power of seven

Start from the beginning

"I should have looked out for you." He said to her, his eyes skimming across her unmoving face. "I should have seen him coming." He breathed in a shaky breath and cried again. "I could have protected you. You went above and beyond for my sisters, and I couldn't move you out of the way of one spear."

He thought that he shouldn't have been so hard on himself but one second, but he disagreed with himself. He was safe and she wasn't. She was gradually dying, and there was nothing anyone could do about it. She was in some type of long term sleep before she died, was what the Maester said. The kingdom was a wreck without her already, and it had been days. It had only been a fewwithout her, and everyone was a mess. Jon could see now why there must always be a Vela in Ilta. It turned all to chaos, like it was some type of spell. And the weirdest thing of all was that there was no sign of the sun behind the clouds. It had been raining since she was still, and he was convinced the island would flood. He believed it now, he believed everything.

Tyrion back in Westeros hadn't heard a word from Jon. Sansa herself decided to send a raven to Tyrion explaining what had happened, and Tyrion was clearly very upset. He had come to he really fond of the Queen, and Gendry and Davos were upset, too. Davos even shed a tear. They had all come to see her but Tyrion, who was forced to stay in Westeros. But the one who had never left her side was Jon.

He slept by her and he woke by her, checking on her every minute to see if her pulse had slowed or quickened. Gendry and Davos attempted to pull him away for a while, to try and think about anything else. He constantly kept an eye on her, trying not to get his hopes too high or low. He was a king, and the last thing he could think of was his kingdom. His wife was slowly dying, and he could do nothing for her.

   At that moment, every fear he ever had was dwarfed. His fear of open water had been diminished. His fear of betrayal had been blown from his mind at the sight of her laying there. Even his worst fear, his fear of the Night King somehow returning, was gone. And it was all because the Queen of the Night was there, laying on her back and closer to death than sand was to water. He decided that if she didn't survive, he would lose his mind. He would go north, north of Sansa's kingdom and past Wall, where he would live amongst wildings again.

     Living anywhere south of the Wall without her would be betrayal.

  Jon put his fingers to her neck again, feeling her pulse. He kept his fingers on the place, and felt it slow. It slowed more. His eyebrows furrowed as he pressed harder, wanting to feel her pulse come back in harder and quicker. But he couldn't. The outside world became darker slowly but surely as the moon began to cover the sun second by second, and as her pulse completely stopped.

                                             §

It was dark. There were no stars, there was no moon, there was just nothing and Andromeda. She heard nothing and everything, and her hand was not visible in front of her face. She was terrified.

She stood there in her nearly paralyzed state before she heard waves crashing from a distance in the darkness, and she walked towards the only audible sound. The air felt familiar, it felt fresh. But where there were waves, there was outside. Where there was outside, there could be sun. She spread her arm out in front of her, expected the sun to come back to her, shine like a beacon of light. Nothing happened. She tried again, and again, and again, until she realized that nothing had happened. If she didn't have her powers, what the hell did she have?

She breathed in an out roughly, trying to keep a hold of herself. Where am I? She asked herself. Her eyes darted around in the pitch black darkness. The uncontrollable starless night overwhelmed her, and she shut her eyes, clenching her fists too. She put her head in her hands as she tried to remember, tried to grasp any clues that could make her think.