x: dead songbirds

The King felt foolish. He had been trapped in a room days after spending not even a full one talking to the queen of a distant yet large island that was his territory. He misjudged the situation, obviously. Tyrion was right, yet again. How well did he really expect it to go?

    The knock on his door brought him out of his borderline self abusing thoughts. "Queen Andromeda requests that you spend dinner with her."

   His brows raised. "She's allowing me to eat dinner with her?"

   "You're not her prisoner, and she is not a patient woman." This wasn't the first time Jon had heard this being said about her, so he sat up from the particularly soft bed and walked to the door, swinging it open. He looked at the guard expectantly before the man rolled his eyes casually. "What?" The show of disrespect barely affected Jon.

   "Aren't you going to ask me to leave my weapon here?" Jon asked curiously. He had wondered why they hadn't told him to do so when they first met, but that was a trivial matter compared to the ones that they were supposed to discuss.

    He only laughed at the Westerosi man. "Not at all. She could fry you with the blink of her eye. No swordsman is that quick." Jon swallowed, and said nothing more.

   He was the last of his friends to show up, and surprisingly, they didn't look miserable. Tyrion actually had a smile on his face as he watched the Queen talk, Gendry looked not nearly as afraid of her as before, and Davos was grinning from ear to ear. Once he got closer, he realized she was talking about Dorne.

"Dorne was tough, but I learned a great deal from my kin. My cousins, the Sand Sisters, taught me how to fight. As well as my uncle, Oberon Martell." Tyrion looked around the table, his eyes slightly wide as he waited for her to piece it together. "I know he died in a trial by combat for you. I was supposed to be coming with him, we were supposed to be getting our revenge together." She smiled bitterly. "That's in the past now. You didn't force him to sign up."

    "Thank you, for being kind about things." Tyrion said, trying not to sigh from relief.

   "Your Grace?" Gendry asked, cringing when he referred to her as such. Jon was his king, so it would always be hard to call someone else as such. "I would like to thank you for not killing me when I came here. We were hoping to mend things by coming here between our families, and I was hoping that your intelligence would show you that we aren't our ancestors, and that at the time, I was just as much a Baratheon as you are a Greyjoy."

   "Yes, I understand. I had to take a moment to myself, and then I understood." She smiled. "You are not your uncle or your father. Tyrion is not the Lannister men that occupied my homeland. And Jon Targaryen is not the Targaryen that conquered my land the first time."

   "That's very kind of you to consider that, Lady Andromeda." Tyrion said, eyeing Gendry for calling her a queen.

   "I suppose we were going to have to talk about that sooner or later." She sighed. She stood up and walked to Ramona, who was doing god knows what in the corner. They spoke about something for a second, with Ramona furiously shaking her head and Andromeda's hand movements wide and exaggerated. Finally, their secret chatter stopped and the Night Queen turned around. "I have decided that you all will stay here for two weeks, and then you are to decide if I am fit to be my own nation. I am, but clearly not officially to Westeros."

"Two weeks?" Jon spoke up, before he even took a seat. "Lady Andromeda, two weeks is a very long time."

"If you'd only call me by my correct title, you could be gone in a lot less time." She retorted, getting a smirk out of Tyrion, who was certainly liking this queen. She was smart, and he admired that. "That's all I ask of you. Now sit, and eat." Jon felt obligated to sit and eat. Something about her just told him something special, and he felt like he almost couldn't go against what she said. Whether it be from fear, he knew it was there.