Chapter 35

We walked back the short distance in utter silence. But for the trepidation of my pounding heart I would have thought I was floating on a fuzzy cloud.

The cool breeze swept across lifting the strands of my hair all over my face.

"Say something, " I said finally unable to stand the quiet strain. Brett meant nothing to me. Nothing at all. I have my love interest. So what if he has temporarily bailed out on me.  He had been there when it mattered. He will be there again.

He was just probably off somewhere resolving some ancient history.  At least that is what I hoped he was off doing.  Ron will be back.

Brett's hand reached out for mine. I gripped his tightly.  Somehow he was the only constant in my life at the moment.  My lascivious neighbours always willing to get into anyone's pants and terribly teasing besides.

I clutched his hand and we walked together back to his house.  I looked at my own for a long moment feeling poignantly sad and then Brett was tugging me away leading inside.

I followed him in.

"I'll show you to your room," he said and I sighed in relief.  I had really thought he was going to seduce me or something.

I followed him upstairs feeling much lighter on my  feet. I had unsettled cbusiness with Ron I didn't need to get into bed with Brett just now. He was a player it would never have meant anything serious to him.

Brett opened a door and gestured for me to go in," Your room."

I glanced up at him and then at that doorway feeling confused.  This was his room.  Wasn't it?

"This is Josh's room when he stays with me. I use the main bedroom when I am here.  With mum gone for her trip I took over the bigger room in the house, " he said grinning at me wickedly.

He leaned forward then," You're welcome to share mine if you like. Attached bathroom and everything. "

He breathed softly down at me waiting for my response.