Chapter Twenty Six ~ Battle of Nurmengard

Start from the beginning

"How do you know that?"

"It doesn't matter." Albus hurried down the dirt track, the front gates within sprinting distance.

"Albus!"

"I was there." Albus ran for the gates, his arm outstretched to receive the bird circling above their heads. Talons closed softly around his forearm. A pop echoed in his head as the castle vanished.

***

Albus took several lungfuls of fresh air. The scent of the forest laid thick on his tongue as he walked through the densely packed trunks. Little light could filter through the canopy, increasing the disorientation.

"I believe in the cause. For the greater good," He whispered repeatedly. His fingertips brushed the rough bark. Slowly a path rose from the undisturbed leaf litter.

The winding route took him up the mountainside. Thinning air forced him to slow his pace. He steadied himself against a large pine tree to take in the sight of the castle. Nurmengard's dark stone towers were shielded by low lying clouds. Its vast walls carved into the mountainside, obscuring its true size.

In awe, Albus stepped forward. Spells peppered the ground in front of his feet, wilting the grass and sending small rocks flying.

"Albus, my old friend, I have been expecting you." Gellert walked across the drawbridge and down the cobbled path.

"You could have told them," Albus pointed to Matilda and Marcus, who's wands were trained on his chest.

"It's a warning," Marcus said, his wand unwavering, "I do not believe you are here to join our cause."

"Albus?" A hint of sadness flashed in Gellert's eyes but was quickly obscured.

Albus sighed heavily.

"That's answer enough." Marcus' eyes flashed red with the stunning charm he launched at Albus.

Albus brushed it off without effort. "I'm here as a friend, not an enemy."

"You stand against us, that makes you an enemy." Marcus jogged down the steep incline, sending jinxes and spells at Albus.

Albus parried and managed to get a jelly-leg jinx on target.

Marcus' legs collapsed under him. He rolled down the hill at breakneck speed.

"We were going to change the world for the better, to save the muggles from themselves, not murder them for their lack of magic." Albus stepped closer.

"I have evolved," Gellert stood tall, "I have grown strong." He gestured to the swelling number of people around him.

"Only mushrooms grow well in complete darkness."

Gellert frowned but held up a hand to stop his followers from launching anymore spells. "Is that what you think?"

"It wasn't your fault. The dark is a tempting place and an easier place to sleep than the glaring light of one's problems."

"How dare you..." Albert whipped his wand and sent a curse at Albus.

Albus blocked the curse and the two that followed. "Titillando"

Albert collapsed in fits of laughter that slowly became howling screams. He fought off the invisible hands that ticked every inch of his flesh.

"This is a discussion between friends," Gellert commanded. "I trust we are still friends, Albus."

"Always. I've stayed in touch all these years, at great risk, and freely offered my opinions."

"Whether they were wanted or not." Gellert laughed.