Another Day

The scent of cooked poultry wafted in the breeze through open windows. Fluorescent lights were cast on the pale stone walls inside of the monastery. Clinks of plates being served and a chorus of laughter were evident, making you shuffle anxiously on the balcony to remain undetected. Their sounds served as your only companion on this lonely night. You didn't mind, as their joy was a stark contrast to that of what happened earlier this morning. A part of you physically cringed at the thought, so you shake your head and heaved a sigh to forget.

You laid on the balcony's ledge, since it was thick enough for you to rest your whole body. Back pressed against the wall and legs straddling the sides, you gazed up at the inky abyss of the night sky — the stars shone brightly. Your life was always in a constant state of too much work and stress that something as simple as looking at the sky made you look in awe. It was simply breathtaking.

The noise in the monastery caught your attention, and you found yourself drooling at the aroma of the feast. You battered your brain, telling yourself not to get enticed by it. Instead, you began to focus on the speech that was being given by the host — Claude. 

"We almost lost someone important to us today. Someone we admire very much. As house leader, I want to make sure stuff like that never happens again."

His voice boomed, a sound you loved to listen to, especially on nights like these. You let your eyes droop, staring blankly at the dark forest ahead of you. Crickets quietly chirped unlike other nights, perhaps they were polite enough to let Claude finish before they could start a performance of their own.

"They're not with us tonight, for obvious reasons." 

You heard a small wave of murmurs, voicing concern over your disappearance. Though you had not attached yourself to the rest of the house members, they still sounded worried over your well-being. You cracked a smile, figuring that Claude had helped instill a sense of compassion onto them.

He continued, "As we hope for their speedy recovery, let us celebrate a battle that we have won in their stead. For _____!"

Claude raised to toast, and his declaration were followed by chants of your name echoing inside the walls. 

You couldn't help but feel your cheeks flush red at the thought of Claude honoring you. If it weren't for him and Mr. Byleth, surely you wouldn't have seen him again.

____________

It was the brink of dawn that brought you to your feet. Months in the academy and your body had already alarmed itself to wake up thirty minutes before training started. Though, you would've wanted to savor those extra minutes in bed instead. 

You've put on your uniform in haste, not really carrying to properly tidy yourself by buttoning only some buttons and styling your hair in a simple fashion. The only part that mattered were your thigh holsters and boots, two of your popular places to keep your daggers. You were self-trained in the combat of flanking and staying hidden, since your family didn't really want to teach you to fight. You've also piqued an interest in having your own horse for combat purposes, but that was something that required an extensive amount of training, which you lacked.

A knock intruded your thoughts, forcing you to avert your attention from the mirror to the door. Your dorm was quite a mess, clutter of homework piled in places one wouldn't suspect. Because of this, you only opened your door a slight amount, as for the person to not get too nosy. 

It was Claude.

He stood there with regal posture, a hand on his hip wearing a contagious smile. His eyes gleamed so bright that you wondered if they could ever be dull.