i missed you

description: damon flipped his switch and left town. you couldn't take the pain of him leaving so you flipped your humanity switch. everyone tries to bring you back but things don't go the way they want until damon comes back into town.

warnings: angst?

i wake up chained to the wall in the cellar in the salvatore house. "she's awake" i hear stefan whisper as he opens the door. "y/n i'm sorry it had to come to this" he sighs, i stifle a laugh "i thought i was doing a better job running from you but turns out you guys aren't that dumb after all" i roll my eyes "it was easy to track you after you left a trail of bodies all across virginia" he tells me and then walks out.

after a couple hours caroline, bonnie and, stefan walk in."let me guess, you guys are here to tell me some sentimental stories to get me to turn my humanity on?" i scoff "not gonna happen"

"y/n i know how this feels" caroline walks over and kneels in front of me "when my mom died the first thing i did was flip my switch. i did terrible things but eventually that switch gets flipped back on and all the guilt hits you all at once" she wipes away a tear "so please come back before it gets worse" she places her hand on mine. "good performance caroline, looks like that theatre major is really paying off" i laugh. she gets up and stands next to stefan "bonnie your turn" she sighs

"y/n i can't stand seeing you like this and i know how terrible you're gonna feel when you turn it back on so please do it now while you still have some shreds of humanity left. i know damon hurt you but don't let it consume you like this" she starts to get visibly frustrated "close but not really, next" i sigh

stefan sits next to me and holds my hand, i almost feel some sort of happiness but it goes away instantly "i know you're still in there somewhere y/n please" he pleads "you're my best friend without you i have no one. when i found out you turned off your humanity i almost turned mine off too but then i thought... what type of friend would i be if i left you alone and didn't help you through this" he sniffled "so please don't do it for damon, don't do it for the girls, do it for me, i need you back"

i wiped a tear from my face "stefan i'm so sorry i left you alone" "y/n?" i nod and he unchained me and engulfed me in a hug "i'm so glad your back"

at that point i couldn't hold it back anymore i let out a laugh, he pulled away and looked at me confused "pretty believable, right?" he started to speak but i cut him off by snapping his neck and before the girls could stop me i started vamp speed out of the house until i bumped into something a fell down.
play the song here
"just as clumsy and i remember"

that voice brought back so many emotions but once again they were all pushed away "damon?" i questioned, getting up and looking at him "hey y/n, i've missed you" he smiles

"wish i could say the same" i smirk and try to walk past him "wait" he stops me grabbing my arm "what?" i pull my arm away "let me explain and then if you still don't care i'll let you walk out" he pleaded "fine" i sigh "the siren had a hold over my mind and forced me to flip my switch. any shred of humanity i tried to hold onto she would find it and destroy it. i couldn't let her hurt you so i ran, put you out of my mind so she couldn't find you in my memories. once ric took care of her it was safe for me to come home but when stefan told me you flipped your switch i felt terrible because i knew it was my fault and i had to come back and fix it" he sighs "and y/n if i'm being completely honest if this is the last time i see you and you hate me for the rest of your eternal life, just know that i'm happy because at?least i got the chance to see you one last time, at least i was able to look you in the eyes and tell you how much i love you and how i would do anything to make sure you're safe"

there it was, he did it. i felt all my emotions rush in at once and without hesitation i threw my arms around him "oh damon i thought i wasn't going to ever see you again, i thought you left me and i feel terrible, i can't even imagine what you went through" i sob "nothing was as bad as the feeling of knowing i hurt you" he tears up "i love you damon" before he can respond i smash my lips on his

the only reason we pull apart is for air and then everyone walks in "you did it" caroline smiles "thanks damon" bonnie tears up "y/n" stefan walks out i get up and run over to him "i'm so sorry stefan" i wrap my arms around him and he does the same "i knew you were still there, he smiles"

i hug bonnie and caroline before they leave with stefan, giving damon and i some time alone.

"i missed you so much" i sniffle, curled up next to damon by the fire "i missed you too and i promise i'll never leave you again."