Chapter 1

China's POV

6:00 am

School started 2 weeks ago and I'm still at home. Despite the fact that I am still traumatized by what happened a while back, I am getting better everyday.

I just heard a knock on my door. You know it's crazy cuz when I hear a specific knock on my door I can tell who it is. Same thing when you hear someone coming up or down the steps.

Lauryn and I share rooms; separate beds though. Her bed is close to the door and my bed is close to the window.

"Come in" Lauryn said.

Aunt Sharon: "Hey baby, how you feeling?"

Lauryn: "I am doing alright" she yawns

Auntie: "That's good." she pauses "How is China doing?" she whispers

Lauryn: "Not so well. I woke up at 3 am because of her whimpering."

Great. You got me. I am not doing well. I had another bad dream for the 7th time in 5 weeks. It's hard to live life while having horrible flashbacks. That's why I haven't been attending school cuz Aunt Sharon wants me to get my mental health back on track.

Auntie: "Baby are you okay? Lauryn told me that you had a bad dream." She stroked my hair

I looked up at her and she looked at me with love and care in her eyes. I slowly sat up and she sat next to me. She looked stressed out and I didn't want to give her another pound of stress.

Auntie: "Look, I know you are not excited about enrolling in school, but the police have been visiting us since the district is alert of any student who have many absences."

"But Auntie, I can't go to school. I just can't." I said

Auntie: "Babe, you leave me no choice. I can be charged with- I don't know. It's complicated." she rubbed my back

Gabe walks in the room

Gabe: "China, stop making it harder than it already is."

Gabe is my 14 year old brother. He could be a total jerk at times. He thinks he's all that just because he is the only student with straight A's out of everyone in his eighth grade class.

Aunt Sharon looked over at Gabe and gave him a face, I couldn't see it since her back was facing me but I know that whatever face she gave Gabe wasn't friendly.

I buried my face in my hands and I just sighed.

Auntie: "I know you are strong China. Don't let the scariest day in the summer get to you." she whispered. She stood up

Auntie: "The appointment is at 8:00 so you need to go shower and eat breakfast. I gotta be somewhere by 8:30 am. We gotta leave around 7:45 am."

Lauryn: "Why we leaving so early?"

Auntie: "I," she pauses, "got a date." she smirked

Lauryn: "At 8:30 in the morning? Isn't that what white people be doing?"

Auntie: "Girl hush"

7:30 am

I am fully dressed; ready to go to school and I am sitting at the table eating breakfast. I still can't believe that I got to go to school today.

Auntie walked in the kitchen and she was getting something in the fridge but all of a sudden, she accidentally slammed the refrigerator door.

I flinched. My whole body just jumped

Auntie and Lauryn just looked at each other, then at me.

Auntie: "Oh baby, I am so sorry. I gave it a little push but this door," she pauses "just swings fast you know."

"It's fine."

Auntie: "I didn't mean t-"

"I said it's fine." I interrupted. I know I seem like a bitch now but I didn't mean to interrupt her.

Auntie: "Lauryn pass me the cereal." She sighed. Lauryn passes her cereal and then she got up to put her plate in the sink.

Gabe: "Auntie, I think China got PTSD"

Aunt Sharon's facial expression:

Auntie: "Boi you've been running that mouth a bit too much

Auntie: "Boi you've been running that mouth a bit too much. If I hear one more word from you, I will beat the living hell out of you. Go 'head, try me." she said in a menacing tone

Gabe looks at her frightened

Lauryn: "Gabe, I also think you should shut the hell up" she joined in

I got up and took my bag and went outside to sit on the porch; waiting for them to finish whatever they need to do so we can just get this over with.

How y'all like this chapter? Did something terrible happen in the summer? Does she really have PTSD?

Do y'all share rooms with your siblings? Do you hate it?

How do y'all like Auntie? She's a total mood :)