What are we? (1)

Here is part 1 of this OS! I hope you enjoy it!

Zoya looked back at her watch again. It was almost time for her movie date with Aditya. He has just returned from Paris after 6 long months and Zoya had missed him more than he would know. She missed her best friend, her confidant, her companion and now that he was back, she was going to make sure she spent as much time with him as possible. And so a few days ago Zoya decided that they would go watch a movie together and do things like all best friends do.

The day they made the plan was the first time Aditya had seen her in a sari and he complimented her, sarcasm free. He told her she looked good in saris and she should wear them more often and so she decided that while it was a bit odd to wear a sari to the cinema, she would do it anyway because it made him happy.

On the other hand Aditya was driving at breakneck speed to get to Zoya's house. The rain had worsened traffic more than he expected and the last thing he wanted was to arrive late and for them to miss the movie.

Aditya was excited. Very excited. While for Zoya this was only a movie date with her best friend, for Aditya it was so much more. He had realised a few days ago, after he rescued her from the locked car, that he loved her and couldn't live without her. He wanted Zoya in his life but he didn't think she would be ready for any kind of commitment and so he decided he would take his time. Treat her with the love, respect and trust she deserved and prove to her that there was no one better in the world for her. He hoped against hope that she would fall in love with him the way he had with her but even if she didn't, he would always be Zoya's Aditya.

With all these thoughts occupying his mind he didn't realise when he finally arrived at Zoya's house and beeped the horn to get her to come down. Normally he wouldn't dare, afraid of raising the ire of her father, but her entire family was out of town for a distant cousin's wedding and so he had no one to tip toe around.

A few minutes later he saw Zoya emerge from the building and for a second he forgot how to breathe. She walked out slowly, clad in a light pink semi transparent sari and white blouse. She looked more beautiful than he had ever seen her look and he immediately realised she was wearing a sari because he had told her they suited her.

She approached the car and pulled the door open, gingerly moving into her seat. All the while Aditya just stared at her, astonished at his luck, so much so that she had to shake him to get his attention.

'Aditya, why are you so quiet? Didn't you hear anything I said, come on we have to go or else we'll be late. I don't want to miss the film'.

Aditya blinked repeatedly,  looked back at the steering wheel, and started the car.

A few minutes went by and neither said anything. Zoya was disappointed that Aditya didn't say anything about her wearing a sari and so she decided to do something about it.

'Aditya, why are you so quiet? Did something happen?'

'No Zoya, why are you saying that? Everything is fine.'

'Well if everything is fine then why didn't you say anything about my outfit? Didn't you see I'm wearing a sari? Don't you like it?'

He whirled round to look at her and noticed her forehead creased and lips pouted signifying she disapproved of his silence and lack of attention. An inadvertent smile spread across his lips annoying Zoya even further.

'Oh so now you're laughing at me? Who wears a sari to the cinema? I'm definitely the idiot here aren't I?'

Just as she was going to continue rambling he took his left had and touched her hand which was in her lap. Immediately she was stilled and looked back at him keenly awaiting his response.