Chapter 36

After finagling her way to getting a massive reflective stone, Nina got some villagers to help her drag the stone to the cavernous place she planned on turning into a small farm. They huffed, puffed, and struggled to get the thing secured in place, then helped her prepare the soil for farming. Once everyone left, she guided the animals she had bought into the grassy meadow beyond the crack. Several people offered to help her build a barn or something similar to house the animals, but she declined, stating her desire to do things for herself to help the village.

Hiccup stayed behind after everyone else left and, once out of earshot, turned to her and said, "Terrors?"

"Yup. Their idea too," she replied.

"Cool. How are they going to get the yaks and chickens comfortable with them?"

She chuckled. "Slowly. Very slowly." He laughed. "All joking aside, they've agreed to let me get them used to me first, and then they'll slowly start introducing themselves into the daily routine."

He nodded. "I've learned a lot about Toothless," he said, changing the subject. "Not only are his teeth retractable, but he has amazing jaw strength, like he cracked open a green tree branch as big around as my torso with his teeth retracted. It gave him splinters, but he still looked at me for approval." They chuckled again.