Chapter 25

Hiccup was sleeping that night, with dawn not far off, when a thunderous crash resounded outside. He was up in a flash, bolting downstairs and throwing the door open. A Monstrous Nightmare was there, roaring at him. He hesitated, looking for a weapon of some sort before realizing he didn't have one within reach and slammed the door closed just as the dragon fired at him. 

He leaned against the wooden planks as flames licked around the edges, threatening to burn the door down. One word sprang to his mind and lips, "Dragons." 

He opened the door again when the fire stopped and ran outside, a small smile on his face. In spite of the fact that he knew he wasn't particularly, well, Viking-like, he still had the burning desire to kill a dragon, and he felt good, for a change, about his odds this time. He dodged around villagers who tutted and told him to "get back inside!" He didn't listen and resumed his race up the hill. He was just about to reach a road close to the town square when he was picked up from behind by the back of the shirt.

"What is he doing ou-What are you doing out here? Get inside!" Stoick ordered.

Hiccup stumbled a bit before orienting himself toward the forge and Gobber. He jogged toward it, skidding to a halt as he entered. He shed his vest and hung it up, throwing on an apron while fielding Gobber's sarcastic remarks with a few of his own.

"They wouldn't know what to do with all...this," he said jokingly flexing his scrawny arms in a vain attempt at showing the apple sized muscles he had gained over the years.

"Well they need toothpicks, don't they?" Gobber volleyed back. He snickered. Just like usual.

Life carried on as usual for a bit, until he caught sight of Astrid. Time slowed and he could almost feel Gobber roll his eyes. Then Astrid ran by and he shrank back sheepishly. He'd learned from the years of torment that she needed to be approached differently. He still leaned out to get a good look at her from behind, though, something he could indulge in.

Gobber picked him up and set him back inside. "Back to work, you," he said. 

"Let me out, please! I need to make my mark," Hiccup said, eyes lighting up at the prospect of killing a dragon.

"Oh you've made plenty of marks, all in the wrong places," Gobber said, poking him in the chest. "If you want to ever get the chance to go out there, with them, you need to stop with all...this." He gestured with a flat hook and an open hand at Hiccup.

"But you just gestured to all of me," Hiccup protested.

"Yes, that's it! Stop being all of you," Gobber encouraged.

That stung, a lot. Hiccup would have loved to have something happen to wipe that smugness of Gobber's face, but he didn't dare do anything brash. Thor knows his father would box his ears. Instead he settled for giving Gobber a dirty look and bickering right back, though he knew it was pointless.

"Uhuh, I'll take my chances," Gobber said dryly. He turned and grabbed a sword. "Sword. Sharpen. Now." He tossed it at Hiccup, who caught it and cradled it like an injured lamb as he hefted it over to the sharpening wheel. He got it going to a pretty good speed and lofted the sword to the grindstone, shooting sparks everywhere.

He let his thoughts wander for a bit until an all-too-familiar shrill whistling was heard. Cries of "Night Fury! Get down!" ran through out the village like wildfire. He tucked back, remembering his previous encounter with a Night Fury blast, and closed his eyes.

He leaned out to see where the beast had shot after the usual fw-BOOM! resounded off the buildings. And tried to figure out if he could do anything. Gobber was already in motion.