This is Wilma?” Andy spoke, I recognised his voice as the person as the first speaker. It had a nasally quality that grated on the ears.

I didn’t bother giving him my usual friendly smile, and Derek didn’t hold back his glare.

“Willow.” Derek corrected him.

“Huh?” Andy asked.

“My name. It’s Willow.” I spoke up this time.

He gave me a wide smile. “Ah, Willow. A beautiful name, for an even more beautiful girl.” He said raising an eyebrow at me – taking this as an opportunity to invite himself to roll his eyes over my body.

I angled myself behind Derek to stop his staring.

“Andy, back off.” Derek said sternly. “You’re making her uncomfortable.” There was a slight quake in his voice as he spoke up, but his glare held firm.

Brick gave an amused snort and Andy narrowed his eyes at Derek, making my spine tingle with annoyance.

“The dork had a voice.” Andy snorted. “Who would have guessed it?”

“Hey!” I said, irritated by the way he was degrading Derek, and even more irritated at the fact that Derek didn’t look at all surprised  - as if it were something he’d grown used to a long time ago.

I wanted to have a go at them, but the fact they were Derek’s cousins and I was a guest here held my tongue firmly in place.

“Hey to you too.” Andy said flirtingly, moving closer to us across the room.

I clenched my jaw tightly. This was usually where one of my two best friends would step in and shoot him down with a quick, and dryly witty one liner – but with neither of them with me.

Standing my ground I crossed my arms tightly over my chest giving him a flat ‘I’m not interested’ look.

Noticing the tension building Derek gave me a small ‘I told you so’ grimace, and the corners of my lips twitched into a tiny ‘I’m sorry I doubted you’ smile of my own.

Our silent exchange didn’t go unnoticed. Andy was frowning confusedly at the pair of us – but before anything more was said Spencer walked aloofly into the kitchen.

His eyebrows rose slightly when he saw the four of us already in there, clearly not having expected us to be in here. His eyes darted around the room, probably taking in the awkward atmosphere all around, before his eyes landed on me questioningly.

“Willow. I didn’t know you were going to be here.” He said ignoring the air of unease – he reminded me of Chrissie in the way he seemed to be able to find himself comfortable in any situation despite everyone else’s discomfort.

I gave him a small smile. “Your mum invited me.”

“Ah…that does sound like her.” He agreed, moving towards the fridge and plucking out a bottle of water from inside. Twisting off the lid he glanced over everyone once again. “Are the rest of the do-” He cut off midsentence. “Your friends, coming over later?” He corrected himself, directing the question at Derek – who looked surprised that his step-brother was even talking to him.

“Later probably.”

Spencer actually didn’t look too interested in Derek’s response even though he had been the one to ask. Instead he gave a small nod of acknowledgement to the two cousins.

Brick and Andy both gave him the same casual chin nod in response.

Why did it not surprise me that these guys got along – even though Derek didn’t seem to receive the same polite treatment?