f o r t y n i n e

Start from the beginning

Instantly, my lips are off Chase's and I place my hand over his mouth. 

"Yeah, I'll be out soon!" I reply back before I wait for the sound of the door closing. When it does, I pull my hand from Chase's mouth and step back. "Did you just come in here to send my anxiety through the roof?" 

"I came to give you some good luck." Chase smirks and steps closer to me. He grabs my hips and swoops down, his lips trail along my jaw and my eyes flicker up at the roof. He mumbles in a very sexy and husky voice, "Is it working?" 

"Hell yes...." I mumble as I allow him to wreak pleasurable havoc of my body. Then I snap out of it, "Wait—shit—no. Everett get out." 

"You're no fun, Jones." Chase smirks and he stands back. I fold my arms as I try to look intimidating which I doubt was not working in the slightest. He then catches me off guard as he kisses me once more hastily, "I love you." 

I don't think I'll ever get use to hearing him say that. 

I laugh as Chase makes a hast getaway out of the locker room, "I love you too you dork!"

♤♤♤♤

The school pool was packed with the many students of Caldwell Academy as well as the travelling team of Vanderbilt Prepatory from Manhattan.  People were sitting up on the bleachers while those swimming crowded the area around the pool and the massive space was filled with their voices and splashing water. 

I had finished my second heat of the day; 400 Butterfly. I had just managed to grab first place but only by two seconds yet it's still a win. I was walking around the pool, trying to find a space on the bleachers to watch the Sophomore heat when I saw a familiar red head and curly black hair emerge from the crowd and with them a sparkly, bedazzled banner. Of course. 

"Ah! Congrats Hayden!" Vera chairs and she wraps her arms around me, the material of the long waterproof parka I wore between races crinkling as she hugs me. 

"You were going so fast and so was the other girl and oh my god—I was so nervous!" Penn giggles as I move to hug her, "We're so proud of you!" 

"Did you hear us cheering for you?" Vera questions as I shake my head, "Well, we were and I'm pretty sure we were the loudest because people kept staring at us. But they were just fucking jealous because they didn't have super cool friends like us." 

"I am so lucky, aren't I?" I question as Vera and Penn flip their hair over their shoulders with confidence. I can't help but laugh at the pair. 

"Noah also has a sign because he thought he could make a better one than us." Penn explains before pointing over my shoulder and up into the stands. I turn around and instantly spot Noah sitting up in the corner waving his long arm at us. He then stands and holds up an even more bedazzled sign if possible. I crack up laughing at the words 'Go Hayden! Eat Pasta. Swim Fasta.' I loved it. 

I then glance at Levi who was sitting next to him to see his eyes trained on something below the stands. I follow his gaze to see a petite girl with curly blonde hair and glasses perched on her nose trying to find a seat. 

"Hey, who's that?" I question, directing my voice to my two best friends while keeping my eyes locked on the seemingly shy girl. She was so careful with her movements and her eyes were quite bashful behind her large, vintage glasses. They suited her gorgeous face perfectly. "The one with the hair like a lion." 

Vera speaks first, "No clue but I love her boots. So cowboy-chic." 

"Oh, that's Emmaline." Penn states as both Vera and I glance at her waiting for her to explain, "Her father is the new AP Chem teacher? She's been here for about a week?"