Chapter One

Jeannie stepped into the ladies a step ahead of Xhex.

"Spill it Jeannie. No one has emotions all over the place just talking with a colleague." Xhex growled as she herded the small human further into the dingy bathroom. Jeannie didn't question the strangely worded question. How could she know what her emotions were doing? Not giving Jeannie any more time to mull over her strange words, Xhex proceeded to kick in the doors of all four bathroom stalls. A couple were revealed in the second stall, hands and mouths all over each other.One look from Xhex sent them scampering.

Xhex whirled to face Jeannie. The imp of a woman stared back at her with tired eyea. Harsh lighting did nothing for her except make her look even more anorexic than usual."Spill it." She spat out. This was one of her workers dammit and any fucker that made one of her workers feel that terrified was going to die. Slowly.

Jeannie ficed her hands to her bony hips and did a slow half turn to face the giant mirror that took up the entire right hand wall of the bathroom. In the mirror she saw a short, skinny girl. In her own eyes she didn't even qualify as a woman even though she'd turned 25 a few weeks ago. She had no shape at all unless you considered straight up n' down a shape. Her blonde hair was a thin halo of frizz around her head. Her skin ws pale and her cheeks sunken. The one thing she did like about herself was her eyes. They were peircing green, almost to the point of being unnatural.

With a sigh, Jeannie started pulling out paper towels from the dispenser. She knew the drill;  it was the same way she'd lost many a job in the past. After running the rough yellowed paper under cold water for a few seconds she started to wipe off her heavy layers of makeup. Utter silence reigned. Paper towel after paper towel was thrown into the basin. Xhex said nothing as more of her bruised and broken face was revealed.

What Jeannie didn't know was that Xhex struggled to control herself something bad. So far, every inch of the small humands face where she had removed the makeup was black and blue and if the had to guess, the rest of her body would be the same. Her nostrils falred, she smelt Jeannie's shame and embarassment as well as dried blood. She wanted to slam the person who had done this into a concrete wall face firsty. Repeatedly. And then she wanted to do it a little bit more.

Jeannie had worked as a bartender in Zerosum for about eight months now.She was the most reliable worked by far and never brought shit to work. Xhex adored her work ethic, made her life much easier.

As she stood there with her arms crossed, gunmetal grey eyes pinned to a purple and red bruise that was just blossoming on Jeannie's cheek she sent out a mental request to Rehv, the owner of Zerosum and her 'boss'. He would want to deal with this personally. She cracked an evil grin at the thought.

Within seconds he was at the enterance of the ladies, having sensed Xhex's barely contained rage. His eyes too locked onto her bruises. Jannies watched him in the mirror, saw his eyes change from concerned to glazed.

Rhevenge was checking her emotional grid. He saw everything. He saw how she thought she would lose her job over this. He sa her terror and her immense physical pain. Saw how it was eating her. He had no intentions of firing her but he had every intention of gutting the person responsible. His worked. Under his protection.

He gritted his teeth as iAm and his brother, Trez, came up behind him. Not exactly the greatest timing.

"Who?" Rehv demanded, placing a not-so-subtle hand on the door. Jannies knew she wasn;t going anywhere without explaining. Looking up at the faces of the four scariest people she had ever met in her life Jeannie could feel nothing but astonishment. All four sets of eyes seemed...protective.She let that word sink in. It was a foreign word. She'd not used it before. For the first time in many years she felt like she was not being judged for her horrendous appearance. Her eyes started to tear up, not from sad but from happy. She had people who cared.