Haunting Dreams

The environment that surrounded me seemed vaguely familiar as my sight touched the flora that enveloped me. The fragrance that swirled in the atmosphere engulfed my sense of smell, exquisitely encapsulating indeed. I bent low, grasping a rose and breaking it off its bush. Lifting it to my nose I breathed in a large amount of air, smiling as the beautiful smell filled my nostrils. I began playing with the petals, noticing how they turned brown as the broke away, falling to the ground lifelessly.

As time passed, I recognised where I was. The palace gardens were the most calming place on earth. Visited ofen by my father when he needed a fresh bout of air, or when he needed to think.

“Ella?” I twisted around swiftly facing the owner of the deep voice. Midnight blue eyes, black hair and a dazzling smile faced me and immediately tears welled up in my eyes. Peace filled the spaces in my heart as my father stood in front of me. I stared at him constantly, afraid of missing a second of this opportunity.

“Father? Oh, how I’ve missed you!” Running into his open arms, I relished in his presense. No other hug could compare to the ones given by my father.

“I cannot stay long my love, I have business to take care of.”

The line so often spoken, so often heard.

“Ella my child, I am so proud of your progression. You have done well. Your path is right dear one, stay firm on it.” With that, he turned and began to walk away from me.

This cannot happen. Where was he going?

“Father wait! I have barely spoken to you!"

Why can't my feet move? why can't I stop him?

" I do not wish to let go of you father! Father stay with me, do not leave me here alone! FATHER!…”

My eyelids opened, exposing my ocean blue eyes to the soft sunlight filtering through the windows, the whispers of a scream upon my lips. After much effort last night, sleep had overtaken me, although I have no memory of when. Now as I gazed at the various colours of light dancing across my wooden floor, my mind was brought back to reality. My parents were gone. And today, I would deal with my people.

One step at a time, I told myself.

The most dreaded part of it all is facing the questions of people. As humans, many concern themselves with futile aspects, and while walking toward them, I braced myself for what lay ahead.

Questions were being shot at me like arrows to a target, darts to a bulls eye. My mind raced as I lost control of my inner thoughts. The people were angry, the people were concerned. What questions do I tackle first? Whom do I answer first?

Gathering all the courage within me I began speaking, adressing them all yet no one in particular.

“My people. I am here today to place within your hearts peace. We all suffer a great loss and I assure you that as your new Queen I will take every measure possible in avenging our loss. However I must ask of you all to trust me as we cannot disclose to you the details of our plan in fear of us being exposed. Every concern will be addressed with the hope of obtaining solutions to all. Thank you”

I left the crowds with an expected headache knowing that what lay ahead was brutal to say the least as I turned toward the east end of the castle. A meeting was set up to further discuss the concerns voiced by the public. This meeting however, was an intimate one with the Council as well as advisors attending.

“That is preposterous! How can you all ask that of me at such a time! I will not be cornered by such ridiculous requirements!”

My patience was wearing thin, my knuckles loosing colour. How dare they even bring up such a topic!

“My Queen, you must listen to us. We suggest this with the country’s as well as your best interest”

“The only interests you have in mind Sir, are those god-forsaken ancient laws! I would have assumed that under such circumstances we would make exceptions regarding this law! For heavens-sake! We are living in the 20th century! When will all you men wake up and smell the coffee?”

“My Queen, laws are made to be followed. As known to us all, the final decision is yours, but after careful deliberation and debate have we broached the subject at hand”

I knew my word was final when it came to any decision being made. That is the power of being Queen. However circumstances urged me towards taking into account the view of the Council before deciding. What made the ire rise in me more, was the fact that they were right. It was best though, to act in a manner that would reassure the public and strengthen their faith in me as a leader.  It just never occurred to me that such regulation would be voiced so soon. Pompous old fools, always know when to increase the weight on ones shoulders.

“The matter will be taken care of”

With that they were dismissed and once again I found myself slumped in my chair in the boardroom. This was all too much. Where do I now find myself a husband to place by my side as king?

Copyright© 2011 Bubble_Burster All Rights Reserved

Hey guys

Just a quick reminder to vote and comment!

If anyone's willing to make me a cover - i'd love that!

You guys Rock \(o,o)/