Starstruck Chapter 25. Mayhem

Start from the beginning

“I can’t go to your house,” I said hurriedly. “I can’t see Dulce yet.” Andrea sighed from the other line. “I understand Glace. Let’s meet-up somewhere. A coffee shop perhaps? I know a hole-in-the wall one where you won’t get recognized. I’ll text you the address.”

“Okay. I’ll meet you in an hour.”

After the conversation, I drove to the meeting place that Andrea suggested. She was already there in the corner, drinking her espresso. I sat in front of her in the booth without ordering my own drink. Adjusting my sunglasses and cap, I started to apologize. “I’m so sorry for doing that in front of your relatives, but I had no choice. Believe me Andrea, it was all a misunderstanding that got out of control.”

She sipped her coffee silently, studying me with her brown eyes that eerily reminded me of her daughter’s. God, she looked like Dulce, especially when she was deep in thought. Although she was more of the wiser-looking one while my girlfriend was the smoking hot sexy version. She placed her cup gently on the table.

“I know what happened Glace. Dulce told me everything after everyone left.” I opened my mouth to speak but she cut me off. “Don’t worry, I’m not mad at you. If anything, I’m angry at Rick. Not only did he make a fool out of me, he said those harsh things to you too.”

My eyes lowered to the table. “He’s a cruel guy. I really thought he was my dad.” I quickly swallowed the lump in the back of my throat, silently praying that tears wouldn’t fall. Embarrassing myself like that in front of Andrea, Dulce’s mom, was not in my bucket list.

Andrea reached out and patted my hand sympathetically. “I can only imagine what you’re going through. He hurt me too. But I know that what he said to you was more unbearable. Tell me, do you want me to kick him in the nuts for you?”

Despite my foul mood, her statement made me smile a little. Dulce got her wacky sense of humor from her mom. “No,” I mumbled. “I want to do that myself.”

“Of course,” she said while leaning back to the chair and sighing audibly. “Glace. . . Why are you avoiding my daughter? She’s concerned for you. She keeps on calling Eris to ask where you are but your friend didn’t know either. Are you mad at Dulce?”

I removed the sunglasses from my eyes and placed it on the table before looking at her. “No I’m not. It’s just that I can’t talk to her yet. I have so many things in my mind right now.” Andrea nodded understandingly. “I get that Glace, but she loves you. Give her a chance to comfort you.”

“I need time to myself,” I told her truthfully. “When I’m ready I’ll talk to her. I promise.”

“Okay,” she muttered before taking her cup and sipping from it. “And when are you planning to talk to Rick? I understand that you hate him and you want to avoid him right now, but you need to learn about yourself.”

“I’ll visit him after this.”

“In that case, I don’t want to keep you here any longer,” she said while standing up from her chair. Handing my sunglasses to me, she ushered me to the front of the shop. “You should have told me earlier about Rick. Even though he was dear to me, I would have done everything for you and Dulce.”

My heart melted when she said that. Not meaning to, something wet and warm dropped from my eyes, trailing all the way to my cheek. I have always yearned for parental affection and here she was giving it freely to me like my mom used to do. “Aww sweetie,” she said, hugging me tightly to her. The people in the shop minded their own business so we were free to do that. Besides, we didn’t care.

“The moment I saw you, I knew that you’d be perfect for Dulce. That’s why I loved you as a daughter from the start. From now on we’re your family. Don’t carry the burden by yourself. When you’re sad, tell us why so we can comfort you.” She smiled and leaned back so she could wipe away the tears from my eyes. “I’d be very happy if you marry Dulce someday. And please call me mom.”