Chapter Three

School was going by in a breeze, it was already third period. Luckily for me, I had a free period so this meant I had time to get my siblings their lunch money. I scanned the halls looking for Kyler; we always met up since we were both free this period. He wasn’t at his locker so I thought I would wait for him there, but it was already 12:16 and I knew Josiah’s lunch started a 12:35. C’mon… I thought to myself. Where are you? I was beginning to get aggravated and I really didn’t want to let my brother down. This would be the 6th time this year, where I was late giving him his lunch money. I leaned against the locker and pulled out my cell phone ready to text him to hurry his ass up, when someone touched me on the shoulder.

“I’m here. You ready?” he asked as I turned around to face him.

“You’re late,” I replied walking past him down the hallway which led to the school exit.

“I know, I know. I got caught up in calculus, but I tried to come as fast as I could. I mean, I ran all the way here from the west wing,” he choked catching up with me.

“What? You don’t even ta-“ I was cut off by my own processing thoughts. He didn’t even take calculus second period, so why was he in the west wing? I could see him staring at me again, that look I hated. But of course, I had already figured it out. He was with Ambreal. She had calculus second period. I should have known that he wasn’t going to take my advice from last night.

“Oh,” I sighed getting into the car. I had nothing to say. I knew that if I opened my mouth it wouldn’t be his best friend talking. It would be a jealous bitch from hell, so I sat in my seat silently as he drove to academy where my siblings attended.

“I know what you’re thinking,” he said breaking the silence. Do you? I questioned inside my head. “But, Mel… It’s not like tha-,” I cut him off.

“You know… it’s none of my business,” I interrupted as we pulled up to my old junior high school. “Do what makes you happy.” I got out of the car and ran into the school building. I was tired about talking to him about her… about any girl for that matter.

I found my way around the familiar school until I arrived to the front office. Mrs. King, the woman at the front desk already knew the routine and began to call my siblings to the office on the intercom. “Good afternoon Ms. Chambers,” she greeted with a humongous smile revealing some of her gold teeth. I smiled to myself remembering how Kyler and I use to make fun of her back when we attended Northview Creek. We would put corn in our teeth and talk to each other in mockery of Mrs. King.

“You made it.” Josiah’s voice was low and I could tell that he was shocked that I was here.

“I promised didn’t I?”

“You promised all those other times too, but you didn’t come then.”

“Well, I’m here now okay?” I looked at him. His long, shaggy, brown hair hung in his face and his big brown eyes were barely noticeable. He sat down next to me as we waited on our sister. I watched as he shook his hair out of his face and leaned his head down into the palm of his hands. I could see the red print of his face once again. I didn’t like seeing him like this. So alone and distant, it scared me. I remembered the days where he use to brighten up the room. But those days were over now; ever since my dad left, Josiah has been lifeless.

“Everything’s going to get better. Believe me,” I say rubbing his back.

“No they won’t,” his tone is hopeless and he doesn’t bother to look up at me. Loreal comes into the office with a boy following her. If I could guess, I’d say that that is Jasper Mack. I’d heard loads about him, as Lori would walk around her room at night talking about how magnificent he was on her cell phone. I smile at her and choose not to embarrass her about her love life while she’s at school and especially not with him in the same room. I get the sense that she knows why I’m smiling. “He’s not my boyfriend,” she ensures me looking over at him nervously.

“Didn’t say he was… he’s cute though.” I hand her 10 dollars for the rest of the week. “Make this last, you know how Roy can get.” She shakes her head. Her long, curly, brown locks bounce as she begins to turn the other way. “Wait, I got something for you,” I pull out a chocolate bar I bought earlier. “See you later,” I say as I hand it to her. I watch her walk off. She’s so pretty, and she reminds me of myself. Same long brown hair, same long legs, and same big, brown hazel eyes. Her skin is beautiful; a golden, toasted brown complexion. I laugh to myself when I see the way Jasper watches her. Oh boy, I say to myself…. Good luck holding on to her.

I turn over to my little brother who is still sitting next to me. I call his name. He doesn’t answer. I can just see his back began to shake. He’s crying; palms still attached to his face. “Like I said, it’s going to get better, okay?” This time, I try to convince myself as well.

“I don’t want to go home,” he says while whipping his tears away. I don’t either; I wish I could say it out loud, but I know that’s the last thing he needs to see right now, me being frightened as well. I have to be here for not only Joe, but Lori as well. I sigh, speechless of what to say next.

“Here.” I hand him a snickers bar. It’s his favorite and even that doesn’t improve his mood. He takes it anyway.

“What are we going to do?” he asks, looking up into my eyes for the first time. I see the fear. His eyes are begging me for help. I wish I knew what to do, but I couldn’t even help myself get out of what was waiting for me at home.

“I’ll figure it out, just give me some time.” I hand him his 10 dollars and tell him to make it last as I did my sister. I see Kyler walking into the front office as Josiah stands up and begins to walk away. Kyler stops him and hands him something. He touches the sides of Josiah’s face like he did mine and he tells him something. I start to walk over to see what’s going on, but I guess it’s too late. Josiah turns around, his cheek is clear, no red mark in sight, and for the first time that day, he smiles at me. I smile back and look up at Kyler. He ignores me with a straight face once again and watches my brother walk off to class.

“What was that?” I ask pointing towards my brother as he walks away.

“Oh… nothing. Just you know… guy talk.” He starts to walk out the school, leaving me standing there speechless. I can’t be imagining this, I say to myself. That was the second time, that I had witnessed Kyler Blackwood do something magical. I didn’t even know what to call it. It couldn’t be magic…. Or could it? I was definitely missing out on something.

I followed him towards the car. His hair was blowing in the wind and I could smell the shampoo he used. I smiled to myself. I was so in love with this guy, if only he knew. As he was getting into the driver seat, I could see him looking at me and he too was smiling. I began to blush. He couldn’t have just heard… NAAHH, I shake it off and hop into the seat next to him.

“Why are you smiling?”

“What are you talking about?” He looks at me playing it off. I know I’m not going insane here…. But I’ll let him play dumb.

“How about we ditch the rest of the day?” he looks at me. I already want to say yes if that means spending as much time with him as I can.

“Where to?” I respond smiling, thinking of what he could have planned.

“My house.”

“What!? No!” What was he thinking? If Roy caught me…. I couldn’t even begin to think of all the added punishment I would receive tonight.

“Don’t worry, I got you.” I loved the way that sounded. I play it over in my head… if only you really had me, I say to myself. “You won’t get caught. Trust me,” he adds placing a hand on my thigh. I look at down at it, making sure that this is really happening. I look over at him, confused. He’s already looking at me. Smiling. AGAIN! What the hell was with him today? Is he trying to work his charm on me or something? Did he think this was funny? Wait…. Does he know that I’m in love with him? He moves his hand puts both hands on the stirring wheel and begins to watch the road. I decide to let it go, and try to convince myself that it’s all my imagination and my love for him is getting out of control. I turn on the radio and relax against the seat as we drive to his house.

______________________________________________

I Know it seems short... but the chapter isn't actually done.. I'm wondering if i should break.. and Enter Kyler's Pov here, I know he may seem a little mysterious... so would you guys like to know what he's thinking? Let me know... If not.. I'll just continue with Melody.