30. the dueling club

Start from the beginning

"Of course, I am flattered," Harper laughed and he fell in line next to her.

"So, what happened to that Bludger? It seemed to fixate on you and Harry, which is weird because that never happens," Cedric said, his eyes scanning the surroundings for a possible attack of the monster.

Harper didn't know whether to lie or not. Cedric was a good guy and she knew he was trustworthy.

"You wouldn't believe me if I told you," she quietly said, not taking her eyes off of the floor in front of her.

Cedric grabbed her wrist softly and turned her to look at him. "Try me."

And so Harper told him that it had been Dobby who had enchanted the Bludgers. However, she did not tell him about the Chamber of Secrets, not wanting to worry him.

"So he said he was saving your lives by enchanting those Bludgers?" Cedric repeated before smiling and shaking his head. "I don't think he knows what saving means."

Harper looked up at him in amazement. "So you believe me?"

Cedric tilted his head, his grey eyes settled on her face. "Why wouldn't I?"

Harper shrugged. "I don't know . . ."

• ✧ •

IN THE SECOND WEEK OF DECEMBER, Professor McGonagall came around as usual, collecting names of those who would be staying at school for Christmas. Harry, Ron, Hermione and Harper signed her list; they had heard that Malfoy was staying, which struck them as very suspicious. The holidays would be the perfect time to use the Polyjuice Potion and try to worm a confession out of him. That's why Harper had written a letter to Dorcas and Remus to ask them if it was okay for her to spend Christmas with Harry, since it would be their first Christmas together.

Unfortunately, the potion was only half-finished. They still needed the Bicorn horn and the Boomslang skin, and the only place they were going to get them was from Snape's private stores.

"What we need," Hermione said briskly, as Thursday afternoon's double Potions lesson loomed nearer, "is a diversion. Then one of us can sneak into Snape's office and take what we need."

Harry and Ron looked at her nervously while Harper just looked determined.

"I think I'd better do the actual stealing," Hermione continued, in a matter-of-fact tone. "You three will be expelled if you get in any more trouble, and I've got a clean record. So all you need to do is cause enough mayhem to keep Snape busy for five minutes or so."

• ✧ •

     POTIONS LESSONS TOOK PLACE IN ONE OF the large dungeons. Thursday afternoon's lesson proceeded in the usual way. Twenty cauldrons stood steaming between the wooden desks, on which stood brass scales and jars of ingredients. Snape prowled through the fumes, making waspish remarks about the Gryffindors' work while the Slytherins sniggered appreciatively.

Malfoy, who was Snape's favorite student, kept flickering puffer-fish eyes at Ron, Harry and Harper.

With a nod of Hermione, Harper left her table and made her way towards Professor Snape, her robes twirling after her.

"Professor?"

Professor Snape's head snapped up. He looked irritated. "What's wrong, Potter?"

Harper straightened her back, trying to look more confident, before bring up what would be a sensitive subject according to Remus and Dorcas.