Chapter 3

Chapter 3: First Day

It's the first day of school. Just like every other year... The freshmen are panicking, the sophomores acting way too cool, the juniors are bored, and us seniors are laughing at all the commotion. I walk over to the table and pick up my schedule.

Psychology, AP English, Advanced Calculus, AP History, Chemistry, Lunch, P.E., Spanish 4.

What a schedule. Gym after lunch, Psychology at 8 a.m. and Spanish last period. I walk down the halls, milling around until I spot Kim.

She runs up and grabs my schedule. "Yes! We have six classes together! I'm taking French this year." She smiles and I laugh.

"Senior privileges this year!" I screech excitedly. "Cutting in the lunch line, the best parking lot, and longer lunch. God I love this place." I breathe in the familiar scent of Lysol and chalk dust. It smells like home.

"Well, we better get to Psychology or Mrs. Stanning will kill us!" We jog to Room 201 and plop down into a seat just as the bell rings.

After first period is over, the rest of the day breezes by. It's syllabuses, classroom rules, and welcome back games each class. I'm loving this day. When we get to lunch, Kim pulls an extra seat up. "What are you doing?" I ask.

She smiles. "i've invited a friend for lunch."

I roll my eyes and am about to comment when my other friends, Sarah, Nikki, and Mark show up. Just to clarify, Sarah is the smarty pants with her huge vocabulary, Nikki is the blonde one that fits the stereotypes perfectly, and Mark is gay.

"Hey, guys!" I stand and we gather in a group hug.

"Hey! Nice job in Chemistry today, your musical chairs skills are very impressive," Mark says as he pulls my chair out for me. I sit down next to him and Sarah grabs my hand.

"I got your email. I can't believe it! You're getting engaged-"

"No, she's not," Nikki cuts in. "Didn't you finish reading? She's got four months to fall in love and break off this terrible engagement. And engagement for which I am very jealous."

"That's what I wanted to talk to you about, actually," Kim says. "I invited someone to lunch."

"Who?"

She pauses. "You'll see."

For the next few minutes, lunch goes smoothly and I momentarily forget the disaster that my parents have inflicted on me. Then, he shows up. Looking muscular in a tight blue shirt and jeans, he sits next to me and plants a kiss on my cheek.

"Hey, babe!" Connor says loudly enough for everyone to hear.

"You invited him?!" I yell, ignoring everyone's stares.

"Yes!"

I sigh. Great. "Hi."

He smiles a huge, toothy smile. "Great to see you! So, I brought you something." he reaches into his pocket and pulls out a small black box. "It's from Tiffany's. I hope you like it."

I open the box slowly. Inside is a ring with a huge diamond on the top. Engraved on the inside band is: Forever and Always.How original.

"It's beautiful!" I'm momentarily distracted from the fact that he's just given me my engagement ring. Then it hits me. "I'm not wearing this!" i shout.

His face is crestfallen. "Why not? Do you want a bigger diamond?"

I glance at Mark, Nikki, Kim, and Sarah whose faces are full of envy. I resist the urge to smile. "No, it's perfect, but didn't my mom tell you?"

"About you falling in love by Christmas Eve? Yeah, she told me. But I just thought I'd get my bid in early."

I frown. "I'm engaged to you, that doesn't mean that you have any say in who I date. You get that, right?"

"I get that. Can you wear it on your other ring finger, then? Just so you always have it?"

I think for a moment. There's no harm in that. "Okay." He takes the ring and gently puts it on my right ring finger. "Perfect," he mutters.

I pull my hand away and glare at Kim. "Thanks so much, Kim."

She smiles. "No problem! Oh, and you have a date tonight. Thomas Evers. He's in your Spanish class." The bell rings and we get up to leave. Connor silently takes my trash and puts it in the trash can for me. I smile... maybe he wouldn't be such a bad husband after all.

But the idea of being married to him for the rest of my life scares me so much that I actually pray for my date tonight to go well.