Part Five: Reassurance + Night Three

Night Three: An urge that claws at your mind. (2 out of 2)

His face was buried in his hands. A plain, white bandage covering the right as the other remained clear of any injury at all. He had not had such a migraine in a very long time and it was rather strange that it came about at such a strange time. Taking in a deep breath, he looked up for a moment before getting up from his bed and getting ready to go to his job that night. At least he knew more about the place and knew that now he’d be able to find out more due to his accessibilities to every room in the restaurant.

Stuffing his hand through the sleeve of his shirt, he put it on hastily as he stared at himself in the mirror. Dark circles were forming around his eyes indicating his lack of sleep due to stress and restlessness. He knew about this but never really did anything to solve the problem. He grabbed his bag off of the dresser before leaving his room. Passing the kitchen, he tried to be as silent as he could but to his avail, Doll had seen him before he could even fully disappear.

“You’re not going back to that place, Mike,” she said in a firm voice.

She had not even turned around to face him as she spoke. She kept on cooking her meal for the night while he stood in the corridor.

“I need to, Doll,” he insisted. “You know that we’re behind the bills and need the extra money we can get.”

“That place is messing you up, Mike!” she pressed more firmly.

“Doll, please, try and understand,” he begin but he was immediately cut off by the loud clanging of the metal spoon against the small pot.

“Damn it, Mike!” she yelled exasperatedly. “Don’t you see what’s happening to you? Ever since you started that job; you’ve not gotten any proper sleep, you’ve been getting injured more often than ever, you’re not even relatively bothered about what happens to us-,”

“Whoa, whoa. What gave you that idea, baby?” he exclaimed as he walked towards he, gently grabbing her shoulders and massaging them slightly as he tried to calm her down.

“It’s bound to happen, isn’t it? I mean look at how many others have been in our situation and look at how that resulted?”

“That’s not going to be us, Doll,” he spoke in a reassuring tone.

“How do you know?” she questioned in a quavering tone, on the verge of tears as she looked up at him.

“Because I’m not going to let that happen to us at all,” he replied with a small smile.

She didn’t say anything more. Instead, she hugged him dearly as if she were never going to let him go at all, like she were stuck to him by some unknown force (like glue). Tears slowly rolled down her face and onto the material of his shirt where is go soaked up. She couldn’t help but cry at that moment because she really did not want to lose him at all. They had been through so much, one more than the other but she had to take charge of everything when the accident happened to Mike.

“Please take care, okay?” she begged.

“I promise you I will,” he said as he pulled away a little and held her close while looking right into her eyes.

She smiled and nodded slightly in approval. Letting go of her, he adjusted his bag strap on his shoulder and began to walk out of the kitchen to the outside of their apartment.

-----

Hunched over a bunch of paperwork, Mike’s boss was filling out some forms and papers that required his approval. Ignoring the multiple lawsuit files he had on the other side of the table, he just kept doing his job, tired and irritable as ever.