Chapter 4: The Truth

Start from the beginning

"Where else?"

I laugh and hang up. I don't bother getting the rental car because of how close my dad's house is to where they hold the festival. They use an old empty sandlot right down the street from the church and cemetery. They shut down the street and use it for parking.

"You smell something awful, Cole," Wes laughs, waving his hand in front of his nose quickly. I roll my eyes.

"Yeah, yeah. I know. What do I need to do?" I ask, looking out at the hustle of everyone already here. Wes looks out at the lot, too, scanning for something for me to do.

Tommy and another man are putting together a stage and dance floor for the band that plays every year. Josie, SueEllen, and a few kids are pitching a tent over a large picnic area, and Bobby and some others are helping set up activities and games.

"You can help Tommy. Unless you'd rather help the girls set up a picnic area with those baby arms. God forbid you get a blister or callous on those pretty girl hands," he snickers. He can obviously tell that I haven't had to use my hands in a while.

"So chauvinistic. You know that if one of them had actually heard you, you'd be down a tooth, right?" I tell him. He only laughs and walks away in acknowledgment, so I take that as my cue to head over to the boys and help.

I hammer and staple and drag beams till well after the sun goes down. If I thought that I was sweaty during my run, I was dripping now. I'd taken off my shirt and tossed it where the other guys had tossed theirs. I was left in only my basketball shorts and muddy sneakers. Someone sets up Tiki torches and fairy lights to keep the light, and I notice the radio volume has been turned up. Any kid that had been here to help has long since gone to bed, so it's just us adults left.

My body is sore, but my heart has never been better. I don't quite know what it is about the classic country music playing or the hard work of our community, but it's a sight for sore eyes and rejuvenates my soul.

"Tommy Alan Turner you get your sweaty ass off of me right now!" I hear a feminine voice yell, and I look to see Tommy holding SueEllen tightly against his sweaty body, laughing his head off.

"You never minded before," he says with a suggestive glint in his eyes. SueEllen's eyes widen, and her body freezes before she fights against him with vigor. This only makes him laugh harder. He lets her slip through his arms, and she straightens herself out with a huff and turns to face him.

"Jackass!" she shouts, though I can tell that she isn't too mad.

"You love me."

"Only the Lord knows why."

"I didn't hear a denial."

I shift my attention away when I see that it's becoming a private moment, and I notice how parched I am.

I grab a beer from the cooler, pop the top off, and take a nice chug from it. A satisfied "Ahh" leaves my lips.

I look around the sandlot to see if there's anything else to be done, but it looks almost transformed. There are pony rides, sans ponies for now, games and other activities, food stands, and the picnic area with the dance floor and stage next to it.

"Looks just fine, doesn't it?" I jump in response, not expecting to be shaken out of my trance. I look over to see who interrupted my thoughts is, and I see it's June.

"Jesus, June. What was that for?" I breathe out.

"Always one for dramatics," she says with a grin. "Can't I just say hi to an old friend?"

"I guess so." I shrug. I realize my bad manners and clear my throat. "How have you been?"

"Right as rain, I suppose. My girl, Whitney, can't wait for the festival tomorrow. She found out that Wes and I were coming here instead of with her to my mom's house, and she wasn't happy that she wasn't able to help out," she chuckles.