02

"She learned that love will not wait,"

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*    *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Madeline looked at herself in the mirror and sighed. A new day. She'd have to make the most of it.

She had a hospital appointment on this day, one that happened on the same day every month, one that she never looked forward to. She wondered why she still had to go, it wasn't like she was getting better in any case.

After packing all her bags, each of them filled with different necessities, she called a cab that took her straight to the England Private Hospital.

Now, she had found herself in a rather sticky situation. Madeline tended to forget she was somewhat known by the public...

"Madeline, why did you not attend the gala this year?"

"Why are you at the hospital? Is this the first time you're here? Who are you visiting?"

"Give us an answer!"

"Are you and Trent still together? Why did you break up?"

"We all love the new look!"

All the questions and statements the paparazzi had thrown at her hadn't bothered her at all except for the last one. It made her feel self conscious. She placed a hand over her hair, which caused the camera's to go haywire with pictures as she quickly made her way inside.

The girl felt sorry for herself. Why did she have to be sick? Why not some other person? She wanted to cry.

She took her file from the receptionist and made her way towards her doctors office. She sat in front of him, silently tapping a pen against her glasses and waited for him to speak.

Doctor Rahman was a good man. He was the same doctor who gave her cough syrup when she was five, treated her broken arm when she was nine and discovered her cancer when she was fifteen. He had always been there with her, and delivering sad news to her was always so heartbreaking, but not as much as this.

"My dear child, I am so sorry," She could see tears welling up in his eyes. "I can't promise you anything more than a week, I tried my best."

She bit back her own tears and hugged him, thanking him for everything he had ever done for her. There wasn't any point in coming back for another check up, and so it was probably the last time she'd ‭ever see her doctor.

In the lower part of town, Trent had just woken up from a long nap. He felt miserable, but that was completely normal for him in the mornings so he shrugged it off.

Without taking a shower, he jumped into a pair of sweatpants since they were the closest thing to him and went outside to his car.

Madeline had called again, saying she needed to tell him something important. He was only going because it sounded urgent.

Trent sighed and began driving. The couple had once lived together, but Madeline had strict Indian parents and there was no way their daughter was living with some boy before she got married to him.

Once Trent arrived, he stepped out of his car and hurried up the stairs to her apartment. He didn't have any chocolates with him this time, but he wasn't planning on staying either because he had some errands to run.

"I'm here. What do you wanna talk about?" Trent walked in.

Unsurprisingly, Madeline's head was buried in a book again. She had read a few chapters out of boredom. It was actually an interesting book.

She immediately closed it and sat up, then she opened her mouth to speak, confident that it was the day she'd tell him all about what was going on with her.

"Trent I-"

"I need to use the loo, just a second." He told her. The toilet was inside her room so he didn't have to go out.

Sat waiting for him, the girl smiled to herself and muttered some words of encouragement. It was dead quiet until Trent's ringtone broke the silence.

"Please answer the phone for me!" Trent shouted from inside the restroom.

Madeline didn't think much of it. She picked up.

"Trent, where are you?"A female asked on the other line.

Oh goodness help me, Madeline thought. She wanted to scream. The girl was chewing her gum very loudly through the phone, a peeve of hers.

"Who is this?" She asked politely, the least she could do.

"I'm Trent's girlfriend, who else would call him? Tell him to answer the phone next time and to not let his mom do it for him instead." She replied rudely and hung up.

Madeline was stuck. Trent popped out of the bathroom.

"Who was it?" He questioned, seeing as she was awfully quiet. Perhaps Madeline could take something out of this. Another lesson. That love wouldn't wait for her. She lacked, and so had Trent moved on.

She smiled at him.

"Your girlfriend." Was her simple reply before reaching out to grab her book again and flipping to the next page.

Trent felt his heart drop, something which wasn't usual since he was so used to suppressing his emotions.

"Madeline," He spoke slowly, "I promise I can explain." he said.

She smiled again.

"It's fine, Trent," She brushed it off, although she felt like she'd die of a heart attack instead before the cancer took her. Her heart was beating out of her chest, in a bad way. "I understand why. I haven't been the best for you lately." Her voice broke unintentionally at the end.

"I'm really really sorry." Trent bent down and kissed her on the lips. He hadn't done that in a while. He must have felt very guilty.

Madeline would miss him. She would miss his kisses as well as his company, even though he had been cheating.

"What did you want to talk about?" Trent sat down at last.

Oh, yes. She couldn't do it. She couldn't bring herself up to say anything about it.

"I finally found myself a job, at the boutique down town." She smiled. Another smile, another lie.

"That's amazing! You didn't have to though, you know that I can get you whatever you want and need." Trent offered. It wasn't rocket science to Madeline that he was going to start being nice to her after what had just happened. The girl wasn't if anything dumb.

"It's okay, I also want to be independent." She reassured him.

It was quiet for a while. Madeline decided to speak up again.

"Trent, I just wanted to thank you so much for everything you've done for me. I want you to know that I love you and I appreciate you." She looked up at him, he had moved over to sit on the bed earlier.

She was hoping he'd say something back, but he was too busy smiling at his phone.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*    *:・゚✧*:・゚✧