Our Memories Buried by The Snow : A Short Teen Lesbian Story

Our Memories Buried by the Snow

The Meeting

I'm Katherine Douglas.

My mother once told me.

"Katie, life isn't always wonderful and nice. Sometime, things can get ugly. If someday things become ugly in the future, I hope you can get through it and become stronger. Okay ? I know you can do it."

I was a child back then, I didn't even know what she was talking about.

That winter, five years ago.

I was on my way home after work. I was fourteen at that time, but I already knew the bitterness of life. My mom died when I was nine. My father left me when I was seven. Now, I live in the orphanage house. I didn't go to school. I work at a little shop downtown instead. I did a little bit of everything there. I count money, I refill the stock, clean the place. I'm happy to work there, the owner Mr. Clayton is a very nice man. He and his wife treat me like their own child. They didn't have any child. Well, they used to, but their son died ten years ago cause by accident. I work for them for about three months now. They trust me and let me work there despite my young age and my lack of education.

I walk slowly, make every step on the cold snow. It was pretty late, about ten thirties at night. The cold air makes my cheeks blush. I love winter, but hate it at the same time. I love it because I used to cuddle with my mother inside our small house to keep each other warm, there's no heater in our house. We don't have the money. But it's still a lovely memory. I'm with her, she's with me. Money wasn't important when I'm with my mother. All I need is her love. That's enough for me. That's why I love winter, it reminds me of my mother.

The reason I hate it because. My mother died at winter. When I came home after selling some of my mother homemade bread, she's already lying on the floor lifeless. At first, I thought she was sleeping. I wait for her to wake up. I thought that she will wake up and give me her warm smile and tell me everything going to be alright. I was wrong. She never wakes up. Winter held memories of my mother, so many memories about my mother. I can't imagine if there's no winter, no snow, no cold air. Maybe I'll forget about my mother if winter didn't come. I don't want that though. Even if there's painful memories, but there are a lot of sweet memories too.

I look around the street as I'm walking. You can tell that the area is full of rich people. Big house with bright lights, expensive Christmas decoration, you name it. I stop in front of the biggest house in the area. I look at the third window on the second floor. A girl is looking out. She has Fair skin and blonde hair, I can't make out her face because I'm standing pretty far away. I can't get any closer, because there's a big fence separating the house from the street. The girl looks at me, she was about my age. I just nod my head and continue to walk.

It goes on for a week. That night, as usual I heading home and stop at the big house. I look at her window, she wasn't there. I was disappointed, I decide to continue walking, but suddenly, a girl yells.

"Hey !" Her voice sound weak.

It surprised me a lot, the girl was standing in front of her house. She walks to my direction. Only the fence separating us.

"Yes ?" I answer unsure what to say.

"Will you be my friend ?" The girl ask shyly.

"Why would you become a friend with someone like me ?"

"I don't know. I can't ?"

"You can, but, you're not suppose to."

"Why is that ?"