I feel China's little finger poke my arm. I look up at her and she is letting me know that Ms. Anne is in fact talking to me. Of course I hear everything the social worker is saying, but to keep up my ruse I pretend my music is getting in the way.

"Syd, she's talking to you." I pull one of my earphones out and look at China for clarity. She repeats herself and then I catch eyes with our social worker through the rear view mirror.

"I said we're almost there. Ready to see your sister?" No I'm not, but seeing my sister actually sounds better than remaining in this car. I can hear the irritation in Ms. Anne's voice for having to repeat herself so many times on this trip. I always have to hold back my laughter each time she gets irritated because every time she talks I actually do hear her. Every word. She has not picked up on the hint that my mood is to not be bothered, or she has and she just does not care.

"Yea, I haven't seen her in forever." I try with all my might to keep an optimistic tone. Everything that China and I say that holds some negative connotation gets put on file, or in a record. Only because so many kids put into the system suffer from mental breaks, regular visits to a psychiatrist are highly recommended if our thoughts and feelings become too negative. I learned quick that China and I would have a much simpler life if we expressed our negative emotions and tendencies to each other. Ms. Anne finally pulls into my sister's building's parking lot. I look out the window and up at this tall unwelcoming apartment building. The fact that this will be home for the next year is not settling right at all. In the back of my mind I know I will be okay, but I just wish circumstances could have remained the same.

I step out of the car and walk to the trunk to help the social worker get out our things. She struggles to lift my heaviest bag out so I step up to the other side of the suitcase and help her lift it out. Once my biggest bag is out I proceed to get out my other bags while Ms. Anne works on China's largest suitcase.

"You girls have a lot of things. I remember my passion for fashion and things of that nature at your age." China and I hear her but neither of us respond. It is her small talk like this that makes Ms. Anne's presence a little more unwanted every time she thinks of a new topic to comment on. I grab majority of my bags and head into the apartment building before China is done.

"This is where she lives? How old is she again?" China starts examining the run down building before she follows me inside. I can tell she is going to have a problem adjusting to living here, same as me, but I am sure we will both learn to make it home. Considering everything we have been through, you would think we would be a little more appreciative about things. Chasity did not have to agree to take us in with her and for that alone I am grateful. Especially since I spent most of our time apart believing she hated me and the situation our family was in while she was still away at school.

"Well she's twenty-six, China. She's just gotten this new job of hers so it'll take a little while for her to get up on her feet. You'll understand when you grow up." She sucks her teeth and continues to follow me towards the entrance of the building. I roll my eyes as I set my things down by the door. On a little porch that leads to the opening there are two men sitting down, chatting. Well one man and one guy that looks like he is more around my age. He has very nice skin and I can't help but notice how nice and clean his dreads are. When he looks up from his phone at me, I can instantly see how cute he is. He smiles at me and I smile back. His smile is like the cherry on top, or the icing on the cake, for his features. The kid is gorgeous and I instantly feel myself get flustered by his stare.

"Sydney!" Ms. Anne calls my name giving me an excuse to break my gaze from his. I look over at her and she is checking the car making sure that all of our things are out. "Make sure China stays downstairs until I get to the door with you!" I nod my head and avoid looking back at the guy by walking ahead inside. I can still feel him holding me in his gaze, but I put all my efforts towards avoiding making eye contact again.