Azkaban

Her Lucky Break

Azkaban

The weekend came much to fast for Hermione's liking. By Friday night she had run out of things to do before her trip with Malfoy. The two had resumed their attitude from the beginning of the year and ceased talking. They were still civil to each other, much to her relief, but they stayed out-of-the-way and only said a word while planning the trip. They'd even gone back to using their surnames to each other, though she believed this was her fault for being so distrustful. He didn't talk about the confession he made a few nights back and she didn't ask. As much as she wanted to know everything going on in his head at the moment there was no way she'd confront him about it. She felt uncomfortable just thinking about prying into his personal life. They may be 'friends' for now but at one point they were enemies and ready to kill each other. One heartfelt talk wasn't going to change the past. Besides, he'd gone back to sulking in a corner and smirking at others misfortune.

It upset her after seeing him in a normal mood for a few weeks.

She didn't sleep well that night. She tossed and turned and woke up nearly every hour. Something about the thought of visiting the prison left her feeling like a bowling ball was in her stomach. When she did sleep all she saw were dementors. They were one of the few things that scared the young witch strictly because of the effect they had. The thought of people being an empty shell after receiving a kiss left her wanting to be sick.

When she met up with Draco just outside of his rooms at the crack of dawn she looked like a zombie. Her eyes were all red and her mouth hung open with near constant yawns. She'd giving up trying to tame her hair after that night and just had a shower before tying it back. Draco on the other hand looked normal as ever, if not slightly paler. Even though his night was even more restless his face and body showed no signs of it.

Hermione was jealous that he could look so well put together at such an early hour. Even when they stepped into the brisk October air he seemed no different. The cold affected him as much as it would a stone yet Hermione found herself wishing she'd warn a warmer jacket. When the light blue carriage bearing the symbol of the ministry finally made an appearance Hermione was more than pleased.

Even though the seats were stiff and the material almost rough the inside was warm and coloured to match the sky on a warm summer day. She looked over at Draco once she warmed up to see him picking at a loose thread with almost disgust written on his features. She knew that he still had wealth in his name, even if it wasn't as much as before the war, but he didn't have to be so picky about it. She was about to say as much when her stomach lurched.

Looking out of the small window she saw Hogwarts slowly fading behind them as the flew up. She didn't settle until they levelled out. She may hate apparating the most but flying was still pretty far up her list on transportation methods she didn't enjoy. It wasn't the actual experience, only take off. She loved the view and in a carriage the change in temperature at higher altitudes wasn't noticeable in the slightest.

Draco was sitting comfortably with a book in his hand but a small smirk was visible. The young woman just knew it was directed at her reaction and glared at him. She was trying to burn a hole right through the piece of literature but her gaze couldn't seem to manage that. It did manage to draw his attention to her though.

"See something you like, Granger?" he asked, speaking for the first time all day.

His tone was light, almost teasing but she could hear the tightness and knew that he didn't want to go to the prison anymore than she did. She couldn't blame him. His dad had just escaped, his mum was locked up, and he had nearly been thrown in there with them.

She decided to humour him with a light snort that brought back the look of disgust.

"You are so unladylike."