Ch 23 - A Lowered Guard

Start from the beginning

"The what?"

"I'll explain later," Law said, "More importantly, I actually would like to see you in combat in your current state. Better to know before we get to an island so I know how well you'll be able to perform your scouting duties."

Sid grinned. "Are you going to be my opponent then?"

Law shook his head. "Bepo will. I will just be an observer."

"What?! Me?!" Bepo exclaimed.

"Let's go, Bep!" Sid shouted, hooking her arm around his neck and practically hauling him to his feet.

Law's brow lifted. Nothing wrong with her arm strength...

"Wait..." Sid said as she realized something and then looked questioningly to Law, "Where should we go for this?"

Law smirked and started for the door. "Shachi. Penguin...", he ordered as he walked out, "Get the Platform ready."

"The Platform?" Sid asked as the crew erupted again into cheers.

It took about 20 minutes for Sid to figure out what the Platform was. No one bothered to explain to her and when she saw it for herself, she realized why. As she stood out on the main deck, under the clear, blue sky, she watched as mechanical arms stretched out from latches on the side of the ship and they unfolded like sheets of thin, metal paper, connecting at the center and forming a long platform above the submarine that stretched along the length of it and was just as wide. A ladder unfolded from underneath the platform and Law was the first to climb up it to get to the top.

He offered his hand to Sid when it was her turn and he pulled her up, over the side, and onto the fighting ground. They were about two stories above the water and with the platform covering the ship entirely, Sid could see nothing but blue skies and blue water.

"Oh...Wow..." she said as she closed her eyes and took a deep breath, "Air...Fresh...air..." She opened up her arms to feel an incoming breeze. "Why don't you guys have this up all the time?"

"We only use this when we need a large area for training," Law said, "It covers the periscope so we could only use it in short periods of time since it interferes with the watch."

"I see," Sid said as Bepo joined them

Soon the Heart Pirates were all standing in a corner of the Platform with their captain that the front, watching as Sid and Bepo faced each other at the center.

"Boo?" the sheep asked as Sid took him off her head and gently nudged him towards Law.

"Go stand on the side with Law."

"BOO!"

The sky sheep slammed into Sid's chest and she stumbled back a few steps, clutching Boo to her. Law reached out and grabbed her arm to steady her.

"SID!" Bepo gasped.

"I'm fine," Sid said and then glanced at Law when his hand did not loosen by her statement, "Really."

Law stared at her for a moment and then reluctantly released his grip.

Sid looked down at Boo and smiled. "Wow...Either I got weaker or you got stronger." She ran a thumb over the curve of one of his horns. "These are coming in nicely."

"Boo..." the sheep whimpered tearfully and Sid sighed.

"Boo...Ugh...I know you're worried but..."

"...If...If you'd like...B-Boo...You can watch with me..."

It took all of Law's will power not to have his jaw drop to the floor like the rest of his crew as Buckler made his way through the crowd with an unwrapped chocolate bar in hand.