Chapter 1

I stood outside the building where I will start my new job today. After graduating 4 years ago from NYU I never imagined myself to be living in a one bedroom apartment above a town diner located in Waynesburg Pennsylvania or working at a building two blocks down the road. The Fort Jackson building is one of the oldest in this community, the sign took on a greenish color from years of weather abuse. The one thing I did expect was that I would be working with teens specializing in drugs and alcohol. Another unexpected turn is that I do not have my own practice and a majority of these kids are required to see me by their probation officers. I wanted to think about the reasons of how I did end up here instead of in New York City but I didn't want to be late.

I took a breath and opened the big glass door. The inside was huge, as I walked up the few steps I noticed a guard standing behind a white fold out table next to a metal detector. I was curious as to why this little hole in the wall town needed security but I didn't ask. The security guard was a tall thin man maybe in his later forties early fifties wearing a grey security uniform. He was bald except for some thin grey hair that circled almost perfectly around his head. His brown eyes stuck out, they had to be the darkest brown eyes I had ever seen they looked almost black but when the day light hit them they were like dark chocolate. They looked spaced apart on his face but somehow they didn't look uneven. He didn't seem threatening at all he wasn't someone you would cross the street to ignore but his face held no emotion, I think he was trying to come off as stern.

"Please remove any metal and place it in the tray, then on my mark walk through the detector."

I smiled and laid my briefcase, purse, and computer bag in a clear plastic tub. I looked at him and he nodded, I assumed that was his mark and walked through the metal detector. Of course nothing happened. When I turned to face him he was going through my bags. I noticed while watching him he had an ear piercing though there was no stud or ring and what looked like the start or end of a tattoo next to the collar of his shirt. I wondered what his tattoo was of, if it stood for something meaningful that happened in his life, did he think it was cool, or was it a mistake from his youth? His name tag said Ed and all I could think was how that name did not fit him, he looked nothing like an "Ed".

After he was done he politely handed me my things and smiled. His smile was nice, it seemed genuine. Immediately I realized he took his job very seriously and once seeing no threat was a very happy friendly person.

I held out my hand not feeling so nervous. "My name is Eve, I start on the third floor today."

"Ed, its very nice to meet you."

"Thanks, you too."

The smile never left his face and I noticed that I constantly try to read people. I learned in school that paying attention to detail can tell you a lot about a person. Analyzing things like posture, eye contact, any fidgeting, crossing legs, facial expressions, the way someone dresses, and so on can tell you so much about someone. With Ed I didn't feel threatened with how he was now, but had I met him outside this building, him not in a uniform with a stud in his ear and tattoos showing proud I may have thought him to be threatening. I would have been wrong, I realize you can't think so much into it. Its all part of being a psychologist though its my job to read people and emotions.

"The elevator is to your left and vending machines and the stairs to your right. If you need anything my extension is 1519 and I'll come a running."

"I appreciate that Ed, and hopefully I'll never have any problems with anyone but if I do I know I'll be in good hands."

"Well, good luck to you. Some of the people who come here for counseling and therapy are more dangerous then they look."

I smiled a professional smile and nodded my head. I turned down the hall and went to my left, feeling nervous again. As nice as Ed is I hope I never have to call security for any reason. I hope with my education and my intuition I'll be able to sense and notice if someone is getting to that point.

The elevator was old and made horrible creaking, cracking, and hanging noises the entire way up. I was afraid it was going to break and either one I'd be stuck or two I crash to my death. I did breathing exercises to keep my anxiety in check. It felt like forever before the elevator stopped at the third floor, I may take the stairs from now on. As soon as the doors opened I realized I had to step up to get out of the elevator. Oh wow, defiantly taking the stairs from now on.

I then noticed a plump red headed woman behind a little window in the wall. She immediately hung up her phone and looked me over with a smile. Her face was round but pretty her eyed were sea green.

"Evelynn Randolf?" She asks unsure.

Ugh, I thought I changed that on my application. "Just Eve please and its Andrews I went back to my maiden name."

I already felt like I was smiling too much and I was praying my office didn't have the same gray carpet with white walls that the lobby and reception area behind this women was. It was so plain and depressing. The only color in the whole lobby was two burgundy chairs and an entire wall of pamphlets. Every pamphlet was on a type of drug, STD, drinking and driving, and finally pregnancy and alcohol. I know I didn't choose the happiest profession but had this been my practice I would want the rooms to relax and comfort not bore and depress.

"My name is Sandy, I'm the receptionist for everyone on this floor."

Oh great, that means they can't have too many people on this floor otherwise she would get nothing done, the more work I have the better. I smiled a little bigger.

She continued talking, "we've all been very excited since we found out a New York City girl was coming to work with us."

"Thank you" was all I could think to say.

Her smile seemed to drop a bit but she quickly caught it and continued.

"Well then, I have the folder of things you need to fill out along with some information about the drug and alcohol programs we run. I'll show you to your office so you can get settled in and get to it. Your first client will be in to see you this afternoon at 2."

She appeared at the end of the short hallway to my right and I started to follow her. She lead me down another hallway full of doors with one lone water fountain. Go figure my office was the last door on the right. She handed me my key after opening my big brown door. It had a window with my name in the middle and of course it said "Eve Lynn Randolf." Right away I asked how soon it could be fixed she answered within the week.

I smiled and thanked her again then asked "how many clients do I have at this time?"

Her smile seemed forced but she answered "right now you will have 5 clients a day all their information we have is also in your packet. You will see 3 of them in the mornings starting at 8:30, then at 10 and 11:15, you'll have lunch from 12:15 until 1, then your final two clients will be at 2 and 3:30, we get off work at 5. Also, the bathroom is at the other end of the hallway on your left and the break room is two doors down on the same side if you have any questions don't be afraid to ask. You can come down to the reception area or pick up the phone and just dial 0."

I smiled my best smile and thanked her again. I'm afraid she was taking my anxiety for arrogance. The last thing I need is everyone having that impression of me 'the new New York girl is stuck up, thinks she better, miss all that.'

After she left the first thing I noticed was of course the grey carpet and white walls. My desk was made of a cheap wood but had a nice light brown color to it, the color reminded me of sand there was a green couch against the far wall with a chair the color of dirt corned off from it then on the other side was where my desk sat along with a grey computer chair. Obviously the first thing to do this evening was to go furniture shopping. I'll get some pictures to cover the walls and a nice big area rug. One nice thing was the high tech flat screen computer that sat on the desk next to it was the phone.

I sat down at my desk and just as I thought the chair was uncomfortable. I laid down my packet, that I must have been holding to tight because now my fingers hurt, on the desk and started taking out the papers. I would do the paper work first then do all the reading. I sat back and took a breath and without even deciding to I started to think about the actions that led me to this town, this job, this everything.