Goblins and New faces

Start from the beginning

One minute later, they stopped at a vault. Griphook unlocked it and motioned for her to go in. It was hers then. She stepped in carefully and stared. The walls were covered in shelves practially overflowing with silver and gold. There were mountains of coins on the floor. Harriet scooped a lot of silvery and gold coins into a pouch Hagrid had given her earlier. She also took a few bronze just in case and payed close attention to the explanation of wizarding currency that Hagrid was giving her. Then they climbed back in the cart.

A few minutes later they stopped at vault 317. Harriet got excited. This was the vault that Hagrid and the goblin had been so secretive about.

There had to be something really extraordinary in this vault. Griphook stepped forward.

"Stand back. " He ordered, "If anyone but a goblin tries to open this door the will be sucked through the door and trapped inside."

"How often do you check? " Harriet asked, curiously.

"Oh, once every 10 years. " The goblin grinned.

The goblin pressed his hand against the door. Harriet faintly heard locks clicking open and bolts moving. Then the door swung open. Hagrid stepped in and grabbed the only thing in the room. A grubby looking package of the floor. 

Harriet was ,needless to say, disappointed. She had been expecting something spectacular not a paper package that looked like it had been flushed down the toilet, twice.

Once they were outside Hagrid left for a pick-me-up at the leaky cauldron after sending Harriet to get her Robes at a shop called Madam Malkins. The cart ride had left him feeling less then exemplatory. She entered the shop feeling very nervous.

Madam Malkin was a squat witch who was dressed all in purple.

"Hogwarts too dear? We have the lot here- a Young man being fitted just now, in fact." She said practically pulling Harriet into the shop with a bright smile.

In the back of the shop a boy with a pale, pointed face was standing on a footstool whilst another witch pinned up his Long black Robes. 

Madam Malkin stood Harriet on a stool next to him, slipped a long robe over her head and began to pin it to the right length.

" Hello, Hogwarts too? " the boy asked.

" Yes." Harriet said.

"My father is next door buying books and my mother's up the street looking at wands," Said the boy. He had a bored voice making Harriet think he'd been here a while. "Then I'm going to drag them off to look at racing brooms. I don't see why first years can't have their own. I think I'll convince my dad to get me one and I'll smuggle it in somehow. "

"Sounds like a plan." Harriet said. She had no idea what the guy was talking about.

" Have you got your own broom? " He asked her.

"No. " Harriet answered.

"Play quidditch at all? " was the next question.

" No, Sorry. " Harriet said. What the hell was quidditch? She made a mental note to look that up later.

" No matter. I do." the boy brushed it off, "Father says that it's a crime if I don't get picked for the team. Know what house you'll be in yet?"

"No." Harriet answered feeling very embarrassed but hiding it behind a blank face making a new mental note to research everything before she got to Hogwarts.

" Well no one really knows until they get there do they. I know I'll be in slytherin. My whole family was. Imagine being in Hufflepuff. I think I'd leave, don't you?" He said.

Harriet shrugged. What was wrong with Hufflepuff? What was a Hufflepuff?

"I say , look at that man!" Said the boy nodding toward the front window. There was Hagrid waving.

"That's Hagrid, the games keeper at Hogwarts. He's helping me get my stuff. " Harriet said, happy to know something the blond didn't.

"I heard he's sort of savage- lives in a hut in the school grounds. Gets drunk from time to time , tries to do magic and sets his bed on fire." The boy said

Harriet raised her eyebrows shocked.

"He doesn't seem like that at all." she said.

"Okay," the boy said, "I'll trust your judgement. I've never met him so I can't judge him."

Then, confused, he added, "Why is he with you? Where are your parents? "

"They died when I was a baby." Harriet replied sharply.

"I'm sorry. " the boy said, sounding regretful," They were our kind, weren't they?"

"Yes." Harriet said.

"Im not sure they should let the other sort in." he said, "They're not the same. They haven't been brought up to know our ways. Some of them have never even heard of Hogwarts until they get the letter. Imagine that! "

"I didn't know about Hogwarts until I read the letter, and I was raised by muggles," Harriet said, voice going quieter and sharper.

"Oh." The boy went pale, sensing the danger. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean offence..." he trailed off obviously not sure what to say.

"I think," Harriet said, "That instead of judging others, you should get to know them first and if they are from another world, help them fit in or explain how things work to them."

"Okay," he nodded, "Sorry again."

"Just don't do it again," she said, feeling a bit of pity for the boy. He had probably been raised by someone like Uncle Vernon. On the other hand, he was a bit of a snob.

"Can I take my words back?" he asked quietly, "I don't want you to hate me, you seem like a good person."

"Ok." Harriet shrugged. The less enemies you made the better your life was, right?

"So, we're good?" he asked.

Harriet was about to answer when Madam Malkin told her she was done.

"See you at Hogwarts then." The boy said.

"Bye." Harriet said with a smile and walked out of the shop.

After that Hagrid and Harriet went to get the school  books. The ones on the list plus a few extra on wizarding culture, Hogwarts and Quidditch. Harriet also bought one full of spells that probably wouldn't be taught but could come in handy (just in case). 

Next on the list was the Apothecary, which was fascinating, to get potions ingredients. 

Outside the Apothecary, Hagrid checked Harry's list again.

"Just yer wand left," he said, "Oh yeah, an' I still haven't got you a birthday present."

Harriet felt herself go red.

"You don't have to-" she immediately began to say.

"I know I don't have to. Tell yeh what, I'll get yer animal. Not a toad, toads went outta fashion years ago, yeh'd be laughed at -an' I don' like cats, they make me sneeze," Hagrid said. Harriet stared at him, how could you not like cats? Hagrid paid no attention.

"I'll get yer an owl. All the kids want owls, they're dead useful, carry yer mail an' everythin'." Hagrid decided.
"Anyway," he continued, "Yeh'd best get yer wand. That shop there. I'll catch up later."