“Who the hells talk about metal like if it was some kind of living thing?” Chariot asked, amused.

Croix shrugged. “I do. Now can we please go back. Night walks are fun and all but we don’t even know if it’s night outside. The days and nights in this place last only a few hours.”

“Fairly certain it’s night,” Chariot said, pointing to a window. The outside world was dark and mysterious. Akko tried to remember the planet’s name, but she was fairly certain this was chronologically at some point after Chariot’s eight IPR race, just before she vanished on the ninth. She wondered, subconsciously, if these dreams were maybe guiding her towards that, towards learning what happened and why Chariot had disappeared without a trace.

Chariot and Croix turned a corner, and to Akko’s surprise they found themselves in a garage, where the Shiny Rod floated as it always did. It hadn’t changed one bit in ten years. Not a scratch, not a dent. Pristine, always pristine. A self-repairing ship, the only one of its kind.

“Oh no, we’re not doing another night session. We’re leaving in a few hours, don’t even try it, Chariot,” Croix said.

Chariot stepped forward. Both of them wore casual clothing. The air of this planet was breathable. “Come on, it’s gonna be fun.”

“For you, I hate doing this,” Croix said.

Chariot pouted. “Fine,” she leaned against the Rod, and Akko could feel its sharp edge against Chariot’s back. Wait, no. She wasn’t feeling the Rod against Chariot, she was feeling Chariot against the Rod. Despite her first person perspective, all of this was, of course, coming from the white ship. The feeling quickly faded, however, and everything started being a normal dream again.

“Don’t be so sad,” Croix patted Chariot’s head. “You won today, be happier.”

“I want to fly,” Chariot complained.

“Wouldn’t you rather be with me?” Croix leaned forward slowly, and Akko was kind of glad she wasn’t truly able to feel what was going on. Doing this felt too much like she was accidentally cheating on Diana or something.

Chariot was into girls, too. Akko would have found that information way more exciting, probably, if she hadn’t met Diana. She had already known, kind of, from her conversation with Croix, but this was a different kind of confirmation.

When they separated, Akko found the expression on Croix’s face strangely cold. As if the kiss had meant little for her, or as if she was focused on other things. Chariot didn’t seem to notice – or didn’t want to – as she stepped forward and sighed. “Come on,” she said to Croix, “let’s go back. If I can’t fly I might as well sleep.”

“Finally,” Croix said, smiling. “Now let’s rest properly and…”

But both of them paused. Akko felt something. A strange jolt through her body. “You felt that, right?” Chariot asked.

“Guess we’re flying anyways,” Croix sighed, turning. Akko saw something in her eyes. They were now sparked with interest. Chariot nodded, and both of them stepped towards the broom.

Akko woke up, eyes still closed, in the darkness. She could hear Diana’s rhythmic breathing, feel the soft breeze it created on her hair. She could smell Diana’s scent, feel her warmth. Akko cuddled against her, smiling as she found a position comfortable enough. However, she didn’t fall back asleep. She didn’t feel like she’d slept at all, but she also was rested. She inadvertently fidgeted with the hem of Diana’s shirt – her shirt, actually – and tried to think back to the dream.