Chapter 7

Wednesday 24th October 1962

Jack and Jackie’s Bedroom

8am

“Have you seen the papers?” Jack asked his wife.

She nodded. “It’s quite scary thinking those missiles are only 90 miles away.”

He nodded.

10am

Bundy and McNamara ran into the Oval Office. “Sir two off the Russian ships have turned back.”

“What? Why?”

“We don’t know, it could be a trap.”

Jack nodded. “Keep me updated.”

When Kenny came he looked worried. “This was just broadcast live in Moscow and I quote.  The Soviet government will not take any actions which would be reckless… We shall do everything in our power to prevent war from breaking out.”

Jack hesitated. “What did he say about the blockade?”

“That it was a violation.”

Jack shook his head. “How are things going in the UN?”

“Well Adlai is going of his head.”

Jack chucked a pen at the wall. “We’re going to die aren’t we?”

“No sir, we can fix this.”

Jack rolled his eyes and put his head on the desk.

6:30pm

The Situation Room

“Keep your seats.” Jack said as he sat down.

“Mr President we have the military already to go, with your go ahead.”

Jack nodded. He never wanted to give the go ahead.

On his way out Pierre approached him. “What’s up Pierre?”

“Mrs Kennedy was wondering if you’d take the extra medication Dr Travell had prescribed.”

“No Pierre I haven’t. I haven’t had time.”

The Residence

When Jack got upstairs he was tired and rather grumpy. “Bunny?” Jackie asked massaging his shoulder.

“What?”

“Go for a bath it’ll ease the pain.”

He shrugged and headed for the bathroom. Jackie went into her room to change. After half an hour she saw Jack lying in his room, he was talking on the phone or so she thought. “Jackie get out!” Jack exclaimed.

She turned to find Bundy standing in the corner covering her eyes. “Sorry.”

She waited in her room. When he joined her it was past midnight. He held her in his arms and fell asleep.

5am

The phone started ringing. Jack sighed and picked it up. “Yeah?”

“One of our ships let a Soviet ship passed.”

Jack got up and went through to his room to continue the conversation. When he returned it was just after seven. “Jack come sleep for a while.”

He nodded and crawled in beside her. Jackie wrapped her arm round him when she heard him crying. “Jack?”

“I can’t do this anymore.”

“Do what Jack?”

“Be President….I’m tired and depressed.”

“Bunny you can, you’re a great President. Everyone suffers highs and lows but you’ll be okay.”

“I hope so…I don’t know which day is which at the moment. It’s all so much.”

“I know but once this crisis is over everything will be okay.”

He closed his eyes. “If the crisis ever ends.”

“Jack! Of course it will, you will solve this problem.”

He sighed. “I need some sleep.”

She kissed his cheek.