The young girl sighed as she thrust out her arms. She couldn't believe it was already the 27th time she was trying for portals.

For the many years they had had her, they were experimenting on her, trying to give her superpowers. First they had tried flight, then invisibility, then telekinesis and so on until now, where they were at portals.

She had undergone many surgeries, especially on her brain. The amount of surgeries she had, had slipped her mind. The same with injections; too many to count.

"Carter, concentrate!"

She shut her eyes, focusing her mind on making a portal appear. She imagined a hole that lead to just outside the door. Her eyes squeezed shut harder, and a small trace of sweat began to show on her forehead.

A faint tingly feeling erupted in her fingertips, spreading through her hands and to her arms, all the way up to her elbows. She became even more engrossed in thinking about the portals.

Her deep concentration mode was broken as quickly as a glass shatters, once colliding with a floor. The metal door was thrown open, a gust of wind coming inro the room, as well as a shout.

Carter's eyes shot open, and her hands went back down to her sides in fear she had done something wrong.

"Why on earth did you stop!?"

Dr. Smith had an incredulous look on his face as he stared at the young girl.

"I-"

"Just do it again!"

"Do what ag-"

"What you just did, you idiot child!"

Carter furrowed her brows as she once again thrust out her arms and squeezed her eyes shut. However, this time she opened her eyes once she felt the tingly sensation in her arms.

Her eyes immediately widened, eyebrows shooting up her forehead.

Right in front of her, was a sort of red circle. It was glowing and moving, looking like some sort of projection.

Dr. Smith, who was still stood in the doorway, took out a small stone from one of his deep pockets. He tossed it into the centre of the circle. Once it passed through, the circle instantly vanished. But immediately, right by the door, the circle reappeared for a split second. It dropped the small stone, once again vanishing after it did so.

Dr. Smith slowly bent down and picked up the stone, proceeding to hold it closely to his face to examine it.

He held his hand out to a doctor who had been standing behind him, oblivious to Carter. She passed him a small recording device.

He held down a button and said, with a smirk playing at his lips,"Carter May, Test 27: successful."

The next few days were busy. Almost all of her time was spent in the padded room. She was only let out for quick food breaks, bathroom breaks and to sleep. Any other time, she was confined to that room.

The portals were odd as sometimes they were summoned easily, sometimes not coming at all. More injections were brought to the room to be given to the girl, and she even had another minor brain surgery.

Whenever she could get the portals to come, she couldn't never make them go that far. Her furthest yet had been fifteen feet.

They still weren't safe for human testing yet, as some objects that were thrown in, never came back out.

They had started with small stones, making their way up to bigger ones. Then, it was pencils, then pieces of cardboard. They were now onto pillows.

For what felt like the thousandth time, Carter thrust out her arms. She was sometimes able to get a portal to appear without shutting her eyes, so she kept them open. She fully focused on a portal appearing. She was determined to get it into another room at the other end of the facility. She thought of the room she slept in.

The small metal bed frame with the thin grey mattress, topped with a grey blanket and pillow. It lay in the corner of the white room. The only other item in the chamber was a set of wooden drawers, containing a few sets of clothes.

She focused on the wide stretch of floor. She imagined the pale blue pillow that Dr. Smith was holding, landing on the floor. The familiar tingly feeling spread through her arms and the circle appeared.

"Now!" She shouted.

Dr. Smith threw the pillow into the midst of the red circle. They both vanished, once the pillow passed through.

"Where to?" Asked Dr. Smith quickly.

"My room."

Dr. Smith rushed out of the room to go check if the pillow had reached its intended destination.

He returned a few minutes later, clutching the pillow.

"Good job, Carter."