“Shut the fuck up or I will report you.” Harry scowls. The man at the front, Jameson, points an accusing finger at the youngest Styles and Harry really should be focusing on that but Everly’s legs were skinny and shivering and he wondered if she made them that way.

“Styles!” Jameson barked, setting Harry to attention. “The girl- where did you meet her?”

Harry’s gaze flickers to Everly’s. Her eyes are screaming fright and her hands were shaking and her legs were skinny and Harry can’t help but to wonder if she made them that way. Her dark eyes locked on his for only a moment before tears welled up in them and she teared her gaze away. “School.” He answers, still trying to make eye-contact with the girl who has tattooed herself on the inside of his brain. “We met at school.”

Jameson crosses his large arms over his potbelly and used one hand to scratch his chin. The room was completely silent as the men waited for an instruction to be ordered. A sly smile hangs off Jameson’s lips and he walks slowly up to Everly, making sure to take his time, making sure to build suspense.

And tears don’t matter until they’re on the cheeks of someone you care about.

So why does Harry feel that pang in his chest when he hears her sniffles?

The gang leader crouches in front of the sad girl, grinning. One of his teeth was golden. Another was missing.

All and all, Jameson does not have a dazzling smile.

“Tell me, Everly. What is your father’s name?”

She immediately stiffened- her back got straighter, her fingers clenched and she tried to sink into the back of the couch. She opened and closed her mouth multiple times before any sound tore its way out. “Daniel.”

“Liar.” Jameson spits, using a hand to capture her chin and jerk it towards him so she’s staring him straight in the eye. Harry sits up straighter on the couch. “You’re a fucking liar.”

“No I’m not.” Everly protested, taking his large wrist in her trembling fingers and pulling it from her face. “My father’s name is Daniel Jeffery Green.”

Harry admired the way her voice was delivered with perfectly convincing confidence whilst her physical demeanor was crumbling by the second. Her entire frame was shaking with fear now, and the tears hung off her chin, and her skinny legs shook and Harry wondered if she made them that way.

“Not your foster dad. Your father. The one who abandoned you. What’s his name?”

“I don't know.”

A harsh slapping sound echoed through the room and within seconds Harry was on his feet, taking Jameson’s collar in both of his fists and pushing the leader’s back against a wall, the scowl on his face scary enough to make any man cry. “Touch her again. I dare you.” He seethed. The boy with the never-coming-back boyfriend ignored the coil of rope resting on the table by the door, in perfect view behind Jameson’s shoulder.

‘Jess? Wake up, baby. Jess, wake up.’

“What are you going to do?” The man laughs. “Beat me up and face the rest of the men in this room? The ones that have had years upon years of training? Yeah, good idea.”

‘This is a dream. Wake up, Jessie. Wake me up. Wake me up.’

His fingers grasp at Jameson’s collar tighter and tighter as images race through his mind.

‘Help! Please, help! She’s not waking up! Jess, baby, please wake up!’

“Harry stop!”

‘Jess don’t leave me. Just don’t leave me. Wake up! Wake up Jess. Please, please wake up.’

“You’re killing him!”

That’s when the world came into focus, and the fingers that had found themselves around the neck of the most dangerous man in Oakwood sprung open, sending the man to the ground.

Jameson was wheezing.

Harry was blinking.

Everly was crying.

And Lucas was just pissed off.

Because his boss was lying on the ground and his co-workers were already plotting ways to kill his brother.

And it’s all a mess, really.

There was a hand that wrapped around Harry’s bicep, pulling him towards the exit. And then there was a punch to his stomach and another to his head and he can't help but wonder if Lucas cares enough to stand up for him. And then he was on the ground and Everly’s tear-stained face came into focus. She was saying something but the ringing in Harry’s ears was too loud to hear it.

His eyes began falling closed. Jess’s casket was lowered into the ground. Everly’s voice started to be heard. And then there was Jameson.

“You love that hodge-podge of illegals you call a family? If you don’t join us, the next time you see them will be at their funerals.”

And there was Everly’s sobs. And Harry wants to open his eyes but they just won’t oblige.

“Please, I’m telling the truth. I don't know his name, I don't know why you know him. I don't know!”

“Join us or be alone.”

‘Jess I love you. I love you, I love you, I love you, please come back to me.”

Harry's heart rate began to slow and his breathing evened out. His ears strained to catch the last word falling from Everly's lips.

“Okay.”

what even was that.

25 votes, 12 comments

love from

el x 

oh and i have a new fanfic out called drown. harry's a hot swimmer who's kinda a genius and it's cool, so check it out xx