by Larissa Reinhart and Tina Whittle

Red’s County Line Tap, found just across the tracks from the bitty town of Halo, could be mistaken from any number of tin roofed roadhouses wedged between Blue Law zoning restrictions in Georgia. Under the ownership of said Red, you’ll find the County Line has been renovated as a sports bar to attract Halo’s families, but on the weekend, the original juke joint vibe returns with the regular clientele of barflies, babes, and bikers. This particular drinking establishment has the added benefit of resting within stumbling distance of the artist Cherry Tucker’s home, the in-town Georgia bungalow of her deceased Great-Gam. And as Red serves the best hot wings and coldest beer in town (along with plenty of unwanted advice), Cherry Tucker and her friends can usually be found at Red’s on any given weekend night. And Thursdays.

And the occasional Monday and Tuesday. And then there’s Wednesdays…

Tonight, Tai Randolph has found a seat at Red’s bar. As the owner of a Confederate gun shop in Kennesaw, Georgia (which is a fair skip and hop from Halo), Tai has been told by customers from every corner of the metro Atlanta area that she needs to meet this Cherry Tucker person. She decides they might be right after a little bit of online research revealed Cherry’s name linked to not one, not two, but a whole mess of murders.

How about that? Tai thinks. Another spitfire Southern blonde with a penchant for corpse-finding.  She wonders what else she and Cherry might have in common besides an unfortunate affinity for trouble. So without further ado, Tai locks up the gun shop and points her Camaro toward Halo, where she has pulled up a barstool next to the one and only Cherry Tucker.

Tai: So I heard you're a for-real artist, classically trained down at SCAD and everything. That true?

Cherry: Yes, ma'am. That much is true. You might hear other rumors floating around about me, but my degree and portfolio speaks for itself. First in my family to attend college, too. Although they were disappointed that my focus on art excluded an institution with football. Having been from Savannah, you must have known quite a few artists yourself. Did you hang out much with the art crowd before moving to Kennesaw?

Tai: Not many artists in my social circle, unless you count my Uncle Boone, who swears moonshine is an art. And my best friend Rico, who’s a spoken word poet. And I have no artistic ability whatsoever – it’s taken me a year to get the shop painted all one color. ‘Course now I have to redo it. Bullet holes and all.

Cherry: I've got the same problem with my truck. What you need is some dry wall patch and a bucket of Kilz to cover the powder burns. Spoken word poet? We need to hook Rico up with my sort-of-ex-husband Todd. Todd's a drummer and his lyric writing is terrible. You think Rico and Todd would get along? (waves at Red) Speaking of moonshine, let's get a round going over here. I'll take a beer, what's your poison, Tai?

Tai: Beer’s great, thanks. The darkest thing they have on draft. And sure, Rico loves to work with musicians. Give me Todd’s number and I’ll pass it along. (leans forward) So you’re dealing with a sort-of-ex, huh? Trey’s got one of those too – Gabriella. She’s French and gorgeous and complicated. We should set her and Todd up, get them both out of our hair.

Cherry: (scribbles number on bar napkin and passes it to Tai) Now Tai, I don't think Todd would go for French and complicated. English is difficult enough for him. Maybe we could convince her to go away without messing with any of my men folks' heads. How does she feel about looking down a double barrel? Just kidding. Sort of.

Tai: Don’t think I haven’t thought of it. I mean, I’ve got this whole shop chock-full of weapons. Not that I would do such a thing.

Cherry: Of course not. Just like I'd never thought of spiking Shawna Branson's sweet tea with a laxative... But if you're interested, I'll give you the recipe.