Impossible proof

Chapter 8:
Steve's POV:

I wake up when Johnny walks in the door. He must need a place to stay too. Maybe he can sleep with Dal.

"Hey Johnny." I hear Dally say.

"Damnit Dal...why are you here?" Johnny responds.

"I needed to tell you something," Dally pauses, "...I can hold the entire world in my hands." He smiles.

Oh Dallas, don't fuck it up.

"Oh Dallas," Johnny rolls his eyes, "how drunk are you?"

"I'm serious. I can prove it to you. May I?" Dally looks at Johnny with pleading eyes.

"Be my guest." Johnny rolls his eyes.

Dally lifts Johnny into his arms. He smiles down at Johnny and kisses his forehead.

"See? I told you, Johnnycake. You are the only thing that matters. If people don't accept us, so be it. I'm ready to tell the gang. As long as I have you, it's all perfect."

By now Johnny's crying—Dally a little, too—he buries his face in Dallas's chest.

"Y-you scared me half to death-D-dally," he cries, "I thought I lost you."

"I'm sorry. I wasn't thinking. I just panicked. I'm not as cool as people think. I'm a huge fucking coward."

"You're not a coward, but don't run off again."

"I promise I won't."

They lie on the couch together. Soon I hear snores and content sighs. I hope I'll have this someday, too.