“You’re going to be alright Oakley.” I tried to reassure myself. She had to be. My uncle lost his mate years back; I haven’t seen him smile since. It was like when she died a part of him died with her. It was horrible to watch.

He still can’t sleep properly. He never leaves him house because it’s too hard for him. This is why Oakley will be alright. She will wake up soon and this will all be just a distant memory.

It will be something that we can tell our kids one day. They will be in awe when they hear the story and look up to Oakley, praising her bravery. She has been so brave these past few weeks. I don’t think I have ever seen her like this.

I closed my eyes, still holding the now blood filled shirt. I was covered in her blood. I didn’t care though.

I hadn’t ever seen this much blood come from a human before. It was everywhere. I imagined us at the park, to try and get away from these god awful thoughts that were consisting to stay in my mind. We were racing to the swings again. Of course it was unfair on her. I was much faster than she was. She wasn’t a very sporty girl. She tried though. Her hands flying up and down everywhere. She looked so cute. Her nose was scrunched as she was confused why she was losing so badly. Maybe I should have slowed down a little for her.

Without realising, a tear fell from my eye. I might never see her smile again.

Her beautiful voice was gone forever.

Oakley wasn’t coming back.

I didn’t want to live anymore.

“Scott get back!” Jason yelled. This brought me out of my own thoughts. My eyes flashed open and gasped when my eyes laid eyes on her.

Her eyes were wide open, and her body was twitching. Before I could think properly, I stood back quickly.

I didn’t think I would ever see this to Oakley.

“Oakley? You with me?” I asked slowly. I knew what was going on, I just could believe it.

“Hurts,” she muttered.

 I knew exactly what was happening. She wasn’t dying. Nor was she asleep. She was preparing for the change. The first change was always the most painful one. I still remember the tortures pain it was for me. I was all alone at school, and I defiantly wasn’t expecting it. 

I was here for Oakley though. I was going to help her through this whole thing.

“It’s alright Oakley, ride through it. You can do this.” I soothed her.

I desperately wanted to cuddle her and take the pain away. But I knew that there was nothing I could no longer do.

It was out of my control now.

She was changing into a werewolf for the first time.

She was just going to have to go with it. There was nothing that could help her.

I heard bones starting to crack and I panicked automatically thinking that they were breaking. This was killing me. All I wanted to do was heal her and take it all away.

She had turned herself onto her stomach now. She was on her hands and knees, her hands scrunched into fists. They were almost white she had them that tight. I wanted to rest my hand over then to calm her, but right now she doesn’t know who she is. She wouldn’t have a clue what’s going on, and me interfering wouldn’t be helping her.

I closed my eyes and counted to ten. She was going to transform any second now.

I counted to ten in my head.

10.

She was going to make it.

9.

Oakley was my miracle.

8.

I loved her so much.

7.

Imagine her beautiful colour when she changed.

6.

It would be so soft and luscious.

5.

Maybe the colour of her hair.

4.

Nearly there, she can do it.

3.

The pain is nearly over.

2.

Most bones cracked and I could hear material shredding.

1.

A loud snarl ripped through the room.

I turned around, and there she was. My beautiful mate was indeed a wolf.

I smiled widely at her and laughed. This was crazy. This whole thing was outrageous.

My smile quickly faded as I realized what was happening.

Oakley’s wolf was new and hungry. The first change was the worst because it was hard to remember what is going on around you. You don’t remember yourself as much. That’s why I had to bring her back to me.

She was walked towards me snarling.

I gasped, Jim was right.

She didn’t know who I was.

To Oakley right now, I was food. I was what she needed to make her feel better.