Chapter 15

“ MIKE'S POV ”

It was a needless precaution because she wasn’t asleep in our bed.

Before I could start searching for her, I heard the sounds of someone getting sick coming from the en suite bathroom.

I rushed over and shoved the door open to find Elaine on her knees, hugging the toilet bowl as she emptied her stomach.

I grabbed a cool cloth before kneeling beside her and sweeping her hair up into an elastic band I found by the sink.

After swiping the cloth over her clammy forehead, I placed it on the back of her neck.

“Emma, sweetheart, what’s wrong?”

“Go away,”

she grumbled as she flushed the toilet. Then she leaned into me and buried her face in my chest.

“I don’t want you to see me like this.”

I stifled a chuckle as I slipped my arms around her waist.

“Can you stand?”

“I’m dying. What do you think?”

she snapped.

Damn she was cute. Even when she was sick.

I scooped her into my arms and stood, placing her on the sink.

Then I wiped her face with a fresh cloth before putting toothpaste on her brush and handing it over.

“Damn scallops must have been bad,”

she mumbled as she brushed. When she was done, she collapsed into me again.

I brushed a kiss over her wild curls and carried her to the bed.

Stripping us both down to nothing, I climbed in behind her and wrapped her soft body in my embrace.

The next time I opened my eyes, my arms were empty, and I scowled at the vacant spot on the bed next to me.

A quick look at the clock told me it was after ten a.m., well past the time Elaine usually got up.

But she’d been sick and shouldn’t be out of bed. Plus, I hated waking up without her.

Sliding reluctantly out of bed, I pulled on a pair of pajama bottoms and went in search of my wife.

I found her pecking away at her computer in the office I’d set up for her next to mine on the main level of the townhouse.

“What are you doing out of bed, sweetheart?”

She gasped and flipped around in her chair, her hand flying to her chest.

“You scared the crap out of me, Mike.”

I sauntered into the room and bent to kiss her sweet lips.

“Good morning to you, too.” When I lifted my head, I gave her a stern glare.

“Now, answer my question.”

She shrugged and turned back to her computer.

“I feel fine. Great, actually. Must have just been a bout of food poisoning. And I wanted to get this done.”

I wasn’t so sure she should be up and about, but her color had returned, and she did look as though she’d never been sick.

I decided to let it go but keep a close eye on her all day.