Chapter 24

Adasyn

"Rick and Shane ain't back?" Daryl asked as we approached the house. Everyone was standing around in the kitchen, clearly worried.

"No," Lori said.

"We heard a shot," I added, looking her way. I was starting to get really worried but I had to have faith in Rick and try not to send anyone else into a panic.

"Maybe they found Randall," Lori suggested.

"We found him," Daryl said.

Maggie looked over at us, now having more interest in the conversation. "Is he back in the shed?"

I shook my head, "He was a walker."

"Did you find the walker that bit him?"

"No," I breathed. "Weird thing is, he wasn't bit."

"His neck was broke," Daryl added.

"So he fought back?"

"The thing is, Shane and Randall's tracks were right on top of each other," Daryl explained. "And Shane ain't no tracker. So he didn't come up behind him, they were together."

"Would you please get back out there and find Rick and Shane," Lori asked, a desperate edge to her voice. "Find out what on Earth is going on?"

"You got it," Daryl said.

Andrea, Glenn and I followed him out onto the porch and I was getting ready to strike up my argument with him about me coming along but the thought completely left my mind when my eyes scanned over the farm.

There were walkers coming from every direction, I had never even see this many together at one time like this. Could this night get any worse?

The others spilled out behind us, taking in the sight as well.

"Patricia," Herschel whispered. "Kill the lights."

"I'll get the guns," Andrea said.

The two of them took off inside and I couldn't tear my eyes away from the scene in front of us. "Maybe they're just passing, like the herd on the highway?" Ashlynn said. "Shouldn't we just go inside?"

"Not unless there's a tunnel downstairs that I don't know bout," Daryl replied. "Herd that size will tear tha' house down."

"Carl's gone," Lori's panicked voice called out.

"What?" Daryl asked, spinning towards her.

"He - he was upstairs. I can't find him anymore."

"Maybe he's hiding?" Glenn suggested. "He could have seen the herd from the window and gotten scared?"

"He's supposed to be upstairs! I'm not leaving without my boy!"

"We're not," Carol assures her, placing a hand on her shoulder. "We're gonna look again and we're gonna find him."

"I'll help you guys," Ashlynn said.

"Ash," I whispered, grabbing her arm. "We need to stay together."

She pulled me into a hug, squeezing me tighter than normal. "Lori is freaked, and Carl is missing. I have to help where I can, Ads. I'll be back soon."

"I love you, Ash. Just in case."

"I love you too."

Andrea returned with the guns, passing by Ashlynn, Lori and Carol on their way inside but asking no questions. Maggie took the bag from her and started passing out them out to everyone.