Passing Notes-Peter Kavinsky

High school sucks. Anyone who says differently is lying through their teeth. High school is nothing but a four-year beauty pageant. Everyone trying to out-dress each other, fighting for the top.

At least to Gen.

Gen has been in a light-switch type of relationship with my best friend Peter. She was constantly turning it on and off. It's really annoying. When she calls it off, I'm the one trying to keep him from falling apart. Whenever she wants him back, I have to hold in my warnings and pretend to be excited for him.

Not to mention the fact that she absolutely hates me. She hates that Peter and I have been friends since second grade. She hates that he sits with me at lunch instead of her and her friends. She hates that we have a closer-than-siblings relationship.

She hates me.

And she makes sure I knew it. I have several classes with her, but only one with her and Peter. In the class we have together without Peter, she is always passing me notes.

You're so fugly.

No guy would ever want you.

You were really brave to wear that outfit.

I feel bad for Peter. Always having you following him around like a lost puppy.

Do Peter a favor and end his misery.

No one likes you.

Peter doesn't have to keep his teammates away from you. They already avoid you like the plague.

His friends talk about you. A lot.

You're not good enough for him.

Stay away from him. He's mine.

Those are just some of the kind words Gen likes to send my way during class. I open the notes and instantly shove them into the bottom of my backpack. I never give her the satisfaction of a reaction. Instead, I save those for when I'm home alone (which, thanks to both of my parents working, is often).

Peter doesn't know. I have somehow been able to hide the notes from him. Gen sure as hell wouldn't tell him. That's why she hates me so much. If he found out what she was doing, what she was saying to me, he'd be done with her.

If she made him choose between her and his best friend, he'd choose me. We all know it. So, she acts all sweet to me when he's around. It makes me sick. I constantly have to stop myself from rolling my eyes.

I was walking to my locker before lunch with my head down when I heard someone laugh.

"If you keep walking like that, you're gonna bump into someone." I jumped at Peter's sudden voice. "Like that," he laughed as he caught me when I bumped into his chest. His eyes narrowed when he saw the look on my face.

"You okay?" He asked, finally letting me go.

"I'm fine," I said softly. I tried to step around him, but he stepped in front of me, blocking my path.

"Y/N, what's going on?"

"Nothing, Peter. I'm fine."

Truth was, I wasn't fine. This morning I got a note from Gen that hurt more than any of the other ones she's sent me.

Peter hates that you follow him around everywhere. He thinks it's annoying that you never branched out and made other friends. He told me himself.

I know that was probably a lie, but I couldn't shake the paranoia that it was true. I've never been able to make friends. Not to say I haven't tried. I have. Desperately. But, for some reason, the only person I can talk to is Peter.

Throughout lunch, Peter kept staring at me. He asked me several times what was wrong, but I kept telling him I was fine.

"Y/N," he sighed as he reached over and grabbed my hand. "You know you can tell me anything. Is everything okay at home? Your mom is on a business trip, right? What about your dad? He isn't drinking, is he?"

"No," I stuttered. "Peter, I told you. . ." I stopped talking when I saw the look on his face. I pulled my hand out of his grasp, making my notebook fall to the ground.

Sighing, Peter reached down to get it. My breath got caught in my throat when, as he picked it up, the folded note Gen gave me today fell out.

I watched in horror as he reached down and picked it up. "Don't," I whispered as he opened it and read it out loud.

"Peter hates that you follow him around everywhere. He thinks it's annoying that you never branched out and made other friends. He told me himself."

He looked up at me with soft eyes. "Y/N? What is this?"

I opened and closed my mouth, unable to form words. He looked down at the note and read it again. I bit my lip as he clenched his jaw.

"Who gave this to you?" He said through gritted teeth. I glanced over at Gen but quickly looked at my hands in my lap.

"Damn it, Y/N," Peter said harshly. His eyes softened when he saw me jump. "I'm sorry," he whispered. "I didn't mean to yell at you like that. I just. . . Who gave this to you?"

"It doesn't matter," I whispered.

"It does to me." Peter reached over and grabbed my hands. "Y/N, I never said this. To anyone. I don't even think it. You know that, right?"

I couldn't form words. His eyes dropped the longer I didn't say anything. He let go of my hands and grabbed the note.

"Y/N, this isn't true. It's bullshit. I don't feel like that. I'm selfish. I love that I have you all to myself," he said with a small laugh. "I'm pretty sure if anyone tried to come into your life, I'd threaten them. I wouldn't want anyone to take you away from me."

He let out a sigh of relief when he saw the smile form on my lips. "Y/N," he said softly. "I need you to tell me that you know this isn't true. Whoever wrote this, is clearly trying to tear us apart. Well, that will never happen. You know that."

Of course, I knew sooner or later, something or someone would tear us apart. But I also knew that wasn't what he wanted to hear. So, instead, I whispered, "I know."

"Good," he said, letting out a sigh of relief.

I watched as he grabbed the note and tore it up. He sent me a smile as he crumbled the pieces into a small ball of paper. I went back to slowly eating my lunch, Peter still glancing at me every so often.

"I have an idea," he said suddenly.

"Dangerous words coming from the mouth of Peter Kavinsky," I joked, making him laugh.

"I could write you notes, every day."

"Notes?" That word got caught in my throat.

"Yeah," he laughed. "Not like that note. Positive ones. Gen always wanted me to write her notes, but I thought it was kind of pointless. But, for you? I'd do it."

"Why?" I stuttered.

"To replace the thoughts that note put in your head," he shrugged like it was obvious.

"I meant why wouldn't you do it for her but you would for me?"

He sighed as he slightly rolled his eyes. "Because she just wants me to do it so she can brag to her friends. You actually deserve someone writing you notes, she doesn't."

I looked up at Peter, the butterflies in my stomach going crazy as he smiled at me. I held my breath as he reached over and grabbed my hand.

"You know I don't believe any of those things about you, right? I mean, Y/N, we've known each other forever. I hope you ignore them and listen to me."

"Thanks, Peter." I stuttered as my cheeks burned. I sucked in a breath and instantly let go of Peter's hand when I saw Gen glaring at me from across the courtyard.

Part 2 Coming Soon