Chapter 3: Consider Me a Dumbass

Start from the beginning

Do I look at her? Say hi? What the hell do I do?

"Wait. They are?" Dad questions disbelievingly. I scrunch up my eyebrows, very much so confused.

"Was that supposed to remain undisclosed information?" I scratch the back of my neck.

"God, Colt, probably if they hadn't told us about it. Especially if SueEllen hadn't told Josie."

"What are you talking about? SueEllen told me the day they did two weeks ago," Josie butts in. I glance at her, but my father takes my attention back.

"Two weeks ago?! And we just saw them last night! I'm heading over there now so they can tell me exactly why they haven't told me yet. Especially after they didn't name the last one after me!" he grumbles.

"It was a drunken promise, Trav. We all forgot about it the next day," she laughs. "I'll letcha go. Don't give them to much trouble." She leans over and pecks him on the cheek and gets out. She comes over and stands next to me.

"Oh you can bet your ass I'll be raising hell. What else have I got to do today?" He pulls out, continuing to grumble under his breath about how he practically raised that boy, and how dare he withhold such information.

"He's something else," Josie comments softly.

"He's a bored old fart who has nothing better to do than being in the middle of it all."

"What else does he have to do? He's a good man."

"Amazing," I agree. She glances at me sideways before turning to face me.

"Do you wanna come in, have some sweet tea?" She has a different question on her mind, though. I don't know what yet, but I'm sure it'll come out soon enough.

"I'd love some." I gesture for her to lead me and follow her into the house. "The house looks fantastic by the way," I tell her honestly. "You turned it into a Georgia paradise."

"Thanks. Though I still think that plantation house down the road is my favorite," she tells me as she grabs two glasses and a pitcher from the fridge. I would help, but I don't wanna overstep.

She used to work at an old plantation farm giving house tours for tourists during high school and after we got married, and she would go on and on about how beautiful she thought it was. I used to work there too, but outside on grounds maintenance. 

"I guess I needed a project to occupy the rest of my time," she says casually, pouring me a glass. I don't know if that was a dig or not. I ignore it and take a sip of tea. Just as amazing as I remember it.

"You sure can brew the best sweet tea. That stuff up North doesn't even hold a candle to this." I watch for her reaction, hoping she doesn't brush it off.

Her lips tip up in a small smile, and she thanks me.

"You can quit brown-nosing now," she drawls out. I shrug with a smile.

She goes quiet for a minute, and I know a quiet Josie is a dangerous Josie.

"Why?" she asks out of nowhere, but I should have seen this coming.

I know why I left, but it's a stupid reason looking back on it now. Not that I regret making a life for myself, but oh b—

"Colt?" she pushes. "Why did you fix the truck?"

Oh, thank God.

"Oh. I honestly don't know. I guess I figured I'd at least have a look at it." She looks at me. "And see if my mechanic skills were still there," I add to brighten the mood.