Part 24 - Homecoming

I smiled as I put the finishing touches on my hair and makeup. It was very light - natural, but I liked it. I knew that Peter would've.

Stop it, (Y/n)! I thought to myself with a sigh. I had promised myself that I wouldn't do this anymore. I wouldn't think about him like he actually cared, when he obviously didn't.

I checked my phone to see three new messages from Pete and a new call. I'd been getting a lot of texts and such from him recently. I frowned and reached to unlock my screen but something inside me made me pull back.

It's okay. You're okay. You don't need to check anything from him.

I took a deep breath to relax myself and pulled my shoulders back. I would have to get over Peter, and fast, if I was moving back in with him and May tomorrow. That was the plan, anyway, but I wasn't so sure that I could do it.

I heard a bang from downstairs and winced, knowing my dad was most likely drunk down there. I also knew that I couldn't stay here, either. I looked back up to meet my eyes in the mirror and then checked the time.

6:28.

Homecoming started in less than an hour. I would have to see him and Liz, together, in less than an hour. I would have to pretend to be okay with it in less than an hour. As long as he's happy, right?

I eventually put on the dress that May had bought me and decided to finish packing up all of my things when my phone began to ring.

I looked over at the screen and saw May's contact appear.

"Hey," I said as I picked my phone up.

"Hi, honey," May answered happily. "Are you ready, yet?"

"I just finished getting dressed, actually," I responded with a smile that she couldn't see.

"Who's driving you?"

"Ned." I answered. My first choice had been Michelle, but she live don the other side of town so it didn't make sense. Then I thought of Flash, but that didn't seem appropriate either. "He'll be here soon, actually..."

"That's nice, sweetie," May said. I could tell she was somewhat disappointed that I wasn't going with Peter, but his best friend. So was I. "Promise me one thing."

"Yeah?"

"Relax tonight, okay?" She said. I sighed. "Peter made a stupid decision, but that doesn't mean that you can't have fun still. You can do that for me, right?"

"I can try." There was a moment of silence shared between May and I, and I as I was about to say something else, I heard another voice come from the line.

"May, I need your help."

I sucked in my breath.

"I'll be there in one sec, Pete!" May responded before talking to me. "I'm so sorry, (Y/n)-"

"It's okay," I said with a small sigh. I heard a knock on the door from somewhere downstairs. "Really, it is. I think Ned's here anyway."

"I'll see you tomorrow, (Y/n). I'm sorry again, honey."

"I know. See you tomorrow."

I took the phone away from my ear before I pressed the end call button on my phone. I then texted Ned to just wait for me in the car.

I grabbed my heels from where they sat at the door, took my clutch from my desk and then walked out. As I hopped down the stairs, I slipped my phone into the handbag and was about to open the door, when-

"(Y/n), wait."

I balled the hand that wasn't holding my clutch into a fist and slowly turned around.